peanuts in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christler

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a peanut butter porter that I am doing. I want to add peanuts to the secondary. Has anyone done this? Should I sanitize the nuts? If so how?
I am aware that the oils will screw with my head retention. But I read somewhere that someone had success doing it this way.
Thanks in advance

I dont think you will get much extraction of flavors from whole peanuts in the secondary.

I have used this...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P4POZ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... in a Peanut Butter stout with decent results. Boiled 1lb for 15 minutes. Was going to throw some in the secondary, but opted not to.

Flavor and aroma was prevalent in the first week (I kegged), but significantly faded soon after. Next time Ill definitely boil longer AND add some (maybe 0.25 lb) to the secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to use that stuff. But there is a few threads on here and I didn't see where anyone had any luck with the stuff. The flavor seems to fade, like you said

I agree I don't think you'll get much flavor from whole peanuts. This powder looks like a nice alternative.

I wonder if anyone has tried boiling some preservative free peanut butter in water (peanut butter tea?) and racking onto it in secondary?

I think real peanuts or peanut butter will have too much oil in it. I may be wrong, but oils in your beer will kill any head retention, it may kill the head altogether.

Have you made any progress on this? I'm wondering how to sanitize peanuts. I guess I could boil them, just not sure how that would affect flavor. I read the same article from Simply Beer...

justin0469 said:
Have you made any progress on this? I'm wondering how to sanitize peanuts. I guess I could boil them, just not sure how that would affect flavor. I read the same article from Simply Beer...

Honestly, if you're adding them to the secondary, I dont think you'd need to sanitize them. The only time I've ever sanitized something going into the secondary was oak chips, only because I was soaking them in bourbon goodness.

I ended up making a ”tea” with the nuts and adding that to secondary. and it didn't really work. At bottling you could taste a hint of peanut but that was gone once I cracked open the first bottle. And it had some oxidation. I think next time I will use a peanut extract at bottling.

Back