Anyone Ever Make Soy Sauce?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavagai

Reaction score
Or any other fermented sauce, for that matter? Seems like it would be fun to try, but there's very little information out there. I know the basic process (Harold McGee's book has some information), but I'd like hear from someone who's actually tried their hand at it. I'd also like to know of a good source of koji cultures, if anyone knows.

You might find the Garum Project thread interesting. Sadly it never materialized into reality for Creamy, BUT there are links to some garum recipes in there.

I'm a big fan of the Punk Domestic's blogsite. It's an aggragate site of links to recipes for all sorts of fermented foods and beverages. They have two DIY soy sauce recipes here.....

I'm about an eighth or maybe it's a 16th of the way through "on food and cooking"....it's a massive tome.

Have you seen his Harvard food and science lectures? They're all on youtube. He usually does the first lecture of the series.

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying this.

It looks like the Punk Domestic recipe is spontaneously fermented. I wonder if adding koji culture would speed up the process.

Back