Almonds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunhaver

Reaction score
Going to use some roasted almonds in a beer for that roasted almond flavor (imagine that). When's the best time to use them? Ground up in the mash, primary, or what?

I don't really care about head retention.

Ground up almonds will produce a haze due to the proteins, so I'd say you probably want to put them in the mash and give it a protein rest. But that's my speculation based on the fact that they sell almond milk, which is ground up raw almonds that have been soaked in water. It's a fair approximation of cow's milk in the end, with a lovely sweet flavor. It's certainly high in carbohydrates, 10g per 8oz (according to the nutritional facts here).

I don't know for certain how roasted almonds will fare, but my money's on needing a mash and protein rest.

I vote Amaretto liquer in the secondary. Tastes like almonds (almond liquer), smells like almonds, sanitized due to included ABV, blends well, no protein haze, boosts ABV of beer(for longer shelf life, right? C'mon!)

Steer clear of nuts(har har) in brewing. The oil in them is a killer to head retention.

However, almond EXTRACT sounds like a good thing....

Maybe take some extract and try to caramelize it or throw in liquid smoke?

I'm not sure how the smoked almond taste will happen...hmm...

Maybe make a vodka tincture of use the amaretto and then some Biscuit malt for that toasty touch...

Ground up almonds will produce a haze due to the proteins, so I'd say you probably want to put them in the mash and give it a protein rest. But that's my speculation based on the fact that they sell almond milk, which is ground up raw almonds that have been soaked in water. It's a fair approximation of cow's milk in the end, with a lovely sweet flavor. It's certainly high in carbohydrates, 10g per 8oz (according to the nutritional facts here).

I don't know for certain how roasted almonds will fare, but my money's on needing a mash and protein rest.
rock n roll, sir. i'll attempt this at some point. havent messed with multiple rests at all, so this'll be a fine experiment

an issue or two ago, BYO had several recipe that used nuts including one with almonds if i remember correctly. they had various approaches/tips for dealing with nuts and their head-killer properties... don't remember offhand what they suggested in the almond recipe.

Back