Best yeast for Traditional Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best yeast for a Traditional German Hefeweizen?

• Danstar Munich (dry)

• Safbrew WB-06 (dry)

• White Labs WLP300

• White Labs WLP320

• White Labs WLP380

• Wyeast 3056

• Wyeast 3068

• Wyeast 3638

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

dmoore714

Reaction score
I did a search for hefe yeast and didn't find anything specific enough to answer my question. Figured a poll would be my best bet.

I'm looking to brew a traditional hefeweizen with all the phenols, banana, clove, bubblegum and/or vanilla flavors you would expect. I've read here, and heard from others that using the right yeast will play a big part in that. I know the companies who make the stuff provide descriptions, and the retail sites add their own notes to let you know what to expect. But I want to know which strain you all prefer? What have you had the best results with in brewing a traditional Bavarian Hefe?

Please feel free to comment after you vote, if you have additional advice on fermentation temps or amounts of time in primary/secondary.

The best hefe I have made was a simple 50/50 pils/wheat with Hallertau hops at around 22 IBU's if I remember correctly. For yeast I used Wyeast 3068 and over pitched and fermented low. This meant about 18 million cells per mL (3 smack packs for 5 gals) and fermentation around 62 degrees. This was an effort to reduce banana characteristics though. I think the biggest influence in this strain for clove vs. banana is the initial pitch rate. A high pitch rate will reduce banana esters while a low pitch rate (stressed yeast) will produce more banana esters. Certainly temperature plays a role as higher temps will further accentuate the banana, but the initial pitch rate is critical. For a balance of both worlds I personally would pitch about 12 million cells per mL and ferment around 67 and as things die down ramp up to 72ish.

I started a thread about this very topic. There are a few good responses so far... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/d...-fermentation-profiles-flavor-results-317195/
The experiment I'm doing is in the tasting phase. After I post this I will post my tasting notes in the other thread. so far what you describe would be best achieved by WLP300/ wyeast 3068, but you might like the kellerweis yeast. The only thing is you must culture it from a 6 pack.

I was planning to do a Hefe soon using the Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3638). It looks like the Weihenstephan Wheat (3068) is the more popular choice though. I'm sure the 3638 would do the job... but is there any specific reason people choose one over the other?

I'm still very new to brewing. So new that I measure my "pitch rate" by the package of yeast... not by cells per mL. Sounds like I want to do a starter on this one though, or at least pitch multiple packs. I don't mind the banana flavor, but I do want to keep a balance between banana and clove. Don't want to be overpowered by one or the other.

ps - Thanks mcbethenstein. I'll check out your notes as well.

If they are fresh packs, then aim for 2 packs for a 5 gal batch. This will give you a good balance, then ferment between 62-66 degrees to keep it clean.

WLP 300 and 3068 are from the same strain. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I just bottled a Hefe and used 3068, pitched high and fermented at 65°, tasted a lot like SN Kellerweis.
In the future I am going to brew another Hefe, split it into and pitch 3068 in one and harvested Kellerweis yeast in the other.

I've only used 3068, and the wife keeps begging for more.

Recently, I tried splitting a batch, making half with 2 cups of my yeast starter and fermenting at 72F and the other half with 4 cups of yeast starter fermenting at 65F.

I really don't notice a difference between the two (I was looking for the clove/banana difference).

If you need a batch soon, 3068 is your friend. I pitched 3068 straight from the smack packs last December 18th, and served the beer on Christmas day (force carbonated during the drive across town). That batch fermented at December basement room temperature, 66-68* ambient, and had more banana. I reused the washed yeast from that batch in March, with 1500 ml starters and swamp coolers, and have more clove flavor, which I prefer. I just finished a glass of that one. Still quite tasty!

I voted other. Grow up some SN Kellerweis yeast from a couple bottles. Really easy to do. I like it a lot better than 3068. More of that German Hefe punch. The dry yeast are not an option IMO.

ThreeDogsNE said:
If you need a batch soon, 3068 is your friend. I pitched 3068 straight from the smack packs last December 18th, and served the beer on Christmas day (force carbonated during the drive across town). That batch fermented at December basement room temperature, 66-68* ambient, and had more banana. I reused the washed yeast from that batch in March, with 1500 ml starters and swamp coolers, and have more clove flavor, which I prefer. I just finished a glass of that one. Still quite tasty!

the times i have used 68 it has made the beer smell like egg farts for weeks, how did you get the sulfur out that fast?

I've used WLP300, WLP380 and wy3068. 3068 is my favorite. I think I have my pitch rate and temperature dialed in for what I like with it.

I used WB-06 in my last batch. I need to bottle it today. I used less than half the pack.

Just made a Hefe last night, pitched with WLP300. my wort temp is 70 at best, am I in trouble? I have a wet pillow case on the carboy with a fan on it to try to keep things under control.

sivdrinks said:
Just made a Hefe last night, pitched with WLP300. my wort temp is 70 at best, am I in trouble? I have a wet pillow case on the carboy with a fan on it to try to keep things under control.

You're screwed! But that's because you're a Devils fan. My first hefe was WLP380 and fermented at 70 and it was delicious.

jtkratzer said:
You're screwed! But that's because you're a Devils fan. My first hefe was WLP380 and fermented at 70 and it was delicious.

Bastard! I knew I'd run into one of you from the hockey thread. But thanks. As the weather gets warmer cooling my wort is gonna be a problem. I use a 50ft immersion chiller so I can only get it down so far because of rising ground water temps.

i have tried them all and i really liked the wb-06 best. i would say it is more of a personal taste thing. i have noticed there are no two people who believe the same way on anything. best thing to do is try several batches using different yeasts. keep notes and figure out which one fit your personal taste better.

sivdrinks said:
Bastard! I knew I'd run into one of you from the hockey thread. But thanks. As the weather gets warmer cooling my wort is gonna be a problem. I use a 50ft immersion chiller so I can only get it down so far because of rising ground water temps.

Build a fermentation chamber or do the swamp chiller thing.

I brewed my hefe this weekend. Used a single smackpack of Wyeast 3638 (not the best choice, but the only thing I could get my hands on at brew day). Made that into a 1-liter starter and pitched it after 24 hours.

I'm currently fermenting at about 64*. I was hoping for a noticeable clove flavor, but heavier on the banana. Was worried that temp was too cold after reading some of these responses... but I opened my fermentation fridge yesterday and it smelled bananariffic in there.

The wort came out a bit darker than I had hoped. It was a caramel-golden color... almost amber. Thought it was too dark for the style. Then I cracked open a Maisel's Weisse and it was the same exact color. (The Maisel's Weisse is good stuff, btw.)

Just pulled a sample of my Hefe after 7 days in primary fermenting with the WL300 at 70-73. Balanced, not too much banana or clove really. 1.053-1.016, probably keg in a couple days and shake carb so I have it for the Holiday weekend. Will the carb bring out more flavor or aroma?

I have the Danstar dry yeast for Hank's Hefeweisen....is it worth it to go to my LHBS and grab Wyeast 3068 instead?

Yes, it will be worth the trip. The dry stuff does in a pinch, but there is much better Hefe expression from the liquid yeast. Grab the 3068, or look into White Labs 380 if your LHS has it... It's my favorite. Then aim your fermentation temp to get your desired expression. Low temp 60-65°F), adequate pitch & oxygen will favor the clove to a balance. Higher temp (68-70°F), pitching just the yeast pack, and lower oxygen will lead to more esters (banana & fruit) that will cover up the cloves more (they will still be there though).
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks, heading there tomorrow to do just that. Great explanation on the temp difference, although I'm not exactly sure which flavor profile I'm leaning toward because I haven't tasted both types in a sitting.

So I brewed the beer last night and the airlock is moving at a decent rate this morning. Anyone know what I should do with the Danstar dry yeast that I replaced with 3068? Experiment with some grains and extract?

So I brewed the beer last night and the airlock is moving at a decent rate this morning. Anyone know what I should do with the Danstar dry yeast that I replaced with 3068? Experiment with some grains and extract?

Should have split the batch and tried both.

Maybe give a Dunkelweizen a shot.

Latest posts

Back