My DIY Stir Plate & My Trailer Trash Daughter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
Well this build started a while back and got finished up today. I went and built the whole thing without taking pictures and tried to use it last night. It did not work. I took it apart and got it working but noisy the dang stir bar kept bouncing around. My wife almost went insane. So after taking my boys to school my daughter and I went to Orchard Supply Hardware and got a few new nuts and bolts. Here is the fix It works great and is nice and quiet now. Cayla will be much happier.
First I drilled 4 holes then I placed the bolts through and secured them. then I added a few more nuts to crate a spacer and glued the magnet to the fan. make sure you are aware of the polarity of the magnet my first attempt keep pushing the stir bar off of the magnet. it stirred but not like it was suppose to (and made one hello of a racket. then I bolted the fan to the top and gave it a try. It worked (YES) for the electric all i did was go to Radio Shack and get a project box and a potentiometer, an LED light, and the magnet from hell. wired it up and figured i would need some sort of heat sink so I tore it off the old CPU and cut it in half and glued it to the potentiometer. Fired it up and I have my stir plate. Oh and the trashy daughter is at the bottom. She got a hold of my do rag and decided it was a tubetop and skirt aparentally

2012-03-23 08.50.14.jpg

2012-03-23 08.50.23.jpg

2012-03-23 08.50.40 (1).jpg

2012-03-23 08.56.37.jpg

2012-03-23 08.56.55.jpg

This thread didn't really go where I thought it would go..

Then again I'm not really sure where I thought it would go...

Alright, wheres the daughter. Bunch of pervs.

What type of magnet you use? (If I were answering me, I would say a magnetic one)

Of course it was fast, you got a bunch of nerds and happy beer drinkers seeing a title that involves a woman.

Finally my trailer trash daughter she by the way she is 2 and already has that attitude I keep telling her i will snatch her eyes out if she roles them at me again.

jack swag.jpg

2012-03-13 16.04.48.jpg

Alright, wheres the daughter. Bunch of pervs.

What type of magnet you use? (If I were answering me, I would say a magnetic one)

Of course it was fast, you got a bunch of nerds and happy beer drinkers seeing a title that involves a woman.

I just used a large 3 dollar bar magnet from Radio Shack. If I go out today i will stop and get the part number if you would like.

Instead of spacing the fan to bring it up it works better if you space the magnet off of the fan with wood. This prevents the magnet from interfering with the motor and it runs smoother.

Rare earth magnets are preferred over ferrite because of their strength. For those that are building stir plates spend a little extra and get rare earth or pull them out of an old hard drive.

Oh no don't go to such lengths, I was curious, I do have a lot of old hard drives sitting around (like 40 sometimes its nice to hoard electronics).

Although I love the construction, and the box you used for your fan.

Thanks I am happy with it now. I am looking forward to my first all grain brew Sat.

What is did not show was that I drilled a bunch of holes in the back, and both sides to allow for air flow.

Thanks I am happy with it now. I am looking forward to my first all grain brew Sat.

What is did not show was that I drilled a bunch of holes in the back, and both sides to allow for air flow.

One more question, I love the box as I said, though I am a rummager and use what I have type person, did you get this from Radio Shack as well or something? It seems an ideally suited containment device for your uses. (I was going to fashion one out of wood, which would probably be less effective.

Yes I got it from Radio Shack also. I figured if I was going to do it I may as well make it decent. My wife complains about things looking like I built them out of garbage.

Congratulations and best of luck! I did my first AG last weekend and The only extract I will ever use again is for starters. It's so much more fun that extract IMO and I already have my next 2 batches planned and lined up.

Finally my trailer trash daughter she by the way she is 2 and already has that attitude I keep telling her i will snatch her eyes out if she roles them at me again.

I admit, I was expecting something MUCH older. But, when it comes to trailer trash isn't that how it always is.

Cute kid.

The stirplate has been running for over 24 hours and has not started to get hot so I am going to call it a good.
Thanks, she is the terror in the house she has 2 brothers 4 and 6. She rules with the iron fist. The boys move out of her way most of the time.

Yep yep I don't like fire. It is a good thing I put those holes in it to. One of my kids got a hold of it turned it up the resistance and left it on. It was over hot when I smelled it from the other room last night.

Back