Problem with my Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abridgel

Reaction score
So I got a free 5.0 Cu Ft freezer from someone on kijiji - the freezer is 20 years old but works - it fits four kegs.

My problem is that the lid is attached to the freezer body by two electrical cords - once I removed the lid from the body and placed my collar on top of the freezer I found out that my lid won't reach the top of the collar - I was contemplating just cutting the cords as I think they are just for the lightbulb but not 100% sure.

There is a wiring diagram on the back of the fridge which I could take a pic of later and upload.

Also the cord coming out of the lid attaches to some type of 4 prong adapter which is them jimmied into some sort of small box which connects the actual plug that you put in the wall and the compressor.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Edit to add:

1st pic is of the connection from the 3rd pic to this which is wired into the compressor and electical plug to the wall
2nd pic is the compressor (dunno why but I included it)
3rd pic is the cord from the lid

imag0105z.jpg

imag0104ap.jpg

imag0103vw.jpg

odds are the cable is just for the light, as you suspect. Unplug the connector that couples the lid cable and "box" together, then plug in the chest freezer. If it works fine, you can keep it unplugged or cut it.

Pics would help, just in case :)

odds are the cable is just for the light, as you suspect. Unplug the connector that couples the lid cable and "box" together, then plug in the chest freezer. If it works fine, you can keep it unplugged or cut it.

Pics would help, just in case :)

That's an excellent suggestion - I'll take some pics tonight as well.

Exactly. Or use Male-Female connectors to extend them that way if you need to remove the lid/collar for any reason you don't have to cut or break the cord.

The connection from the lid to the freezer is really funny looking look at the 3rd pic.

Back