Beer made from rice malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightarbor

Reaction score
Hey everyone i was wondering if anyone has made a beer entirely with rice malt. Would it even have a real taste or would it just taste like hops? Let me know if there are any recipes out there. Im looking for a friend that has celiacs disease and i hate the sweet taste of sorghum.

"Malted Rice" is Rice converted by Koji-kin. The grain itself has no significant diastase. Even tho it will sprout with heat.

The basis for Sake. Ever try Sake?

Very subtle. So, yes. Hops would overwhelm anything the rice brought to the party.

so my guess is if i replaced normal malt with malted rice and made a beer it would just taste like a hopped sake? Curiouser and curiouser. I just cant stand the taste of sweet sorghum in a beer and am looking for alternatives

Hi, long time browsing, first time posting.
My family used to brew beer with rice entirely back in Asia. Our beer sold in several small towns around where we lived and it was good according to drinkers. I was young then and don't remember the neither exact process nor quantity that needed but here is what I remember.
1. Rice seed, the short and fat one (yield more sugar than long and thin one) wash well and soak in room temperature water for about 2-3 days or until it started to germinate. Old rice seed may take a bit longer to germinate vs. newly harvested.
2. Spread the rice seed on a flat surface (cement in our case) and cover it with a thick cloth, the one that could hold some water. We used the rice bag that our rice seed came in with. Similar to the basmati rice bag that you see at the grocery store. Twice a day, spray lots of water on top of the cloth. The rice start to grow and in about 3-5 days, they will poke through the cloth.
Here is a picture: http://www.pnas.org/content/105/34/12623/F1.large.jpg
3. Now stop germinating process by wash them gently and separate them and discard dead seed (dead seed usually flow to the top)
4. Dry them under the sun (I guess you can roast them too but we never tried it) and crush them. Now we have all kind of fancy machine that can mill the grain quickly but back in my day I was using a big ass stone wheel back and forth for hours and I was 8 years old back then.
5. Now steam or cook lots of rice, the one has been processed and ready for cooking (short and fat one of course) until fully cook.
6. Transfer the fully cooked rice to a new container one layer at a time. A layer of full cooked rice while still hot and about an inch thick then a layer of crushed rice seed (from step 4) and keep building up until your last layer is the crushed rice.
7. Cover the rice mixture container real tight and let it sits for 12 hours (overnight for us) and it’ll become oatmeal like but a bit thinner.
8. Now squeeze all the rice juice out of the mixture by using cloth into a clean cooking pot and discard the rice. We fed the discarded rice to our pigs. It has some alcohol smell to it and the pigs loved it. I think it made them drunk after eating because they passed out each time. The juice is cloudy milk like.
9. Now bring it up to boil and let it shimmer at low heat. From milky it will turn to pale, amber. The longer you slow cook, the darker the liquid and it get sweeter.
10. Next is to add hop and boil for however long and I remember my dad never add sugar. Whatever sugar came from the rice was all he needed.
11. On the second day of fermentation I remember my dad added one chicken egg (white egg only) to each fermenter and I think it was about 5 gallons container. According to my dad, this is secret recipe and he never explains to me why white egg.
12. After about 5 days in fermenter, we bottled them and let the CO2 carbonate the beer naturally since the beer is still fermenting. Now I know why we had a few bottles bomb for each batch.

Hi, long time browsing, first time posting.
My family used to brew beer with rice entirely back in Asia.

Thank you very much, [karalaok] - I'm about to launch back into sake making and in doing my homework I found your story. I love tales like this - I'll have to give your family recipe a try.:tank:

6. Transfer the fully cooked rice to a new container one layer at a time. A layer of full cooked rice while still hot and about an inch thick then a layer of crushed rice seed (from step 4) and keep building up until your last layer is the crushed rice.

Would this be doing the same thing as mashing, just not very consistent/uniform with the temp? Thinking about malting some rice but was thinking using it more like malted barley.

You revived a really old thread...

Thinking about malting some rice but was thinking using it more like malted barley.
Contrary to popular opinion (including some professional/expert opinions) rice can be malted, and some varieties and strains of rice work much better than others. There are a few academic papers about malting rice and I have one somewhere that identifies a strain of rice particularly well suited to malting, but googling high and low I can't find any way to track down or purchase said strain of rice.

And to clarify, I am talking about actual malting as opposed to koji.

Back