HLT Theory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
I want to run this idea by you all and see what kind of feedback I can get...

I currently have a 2 keggle system with one pump and the bk is electric with 2 120v elements. false bottom in mt, and herms coil in bk

I have a hoff steves keg that I am pondering how to add to my system.

What I am thinking is that I could add 2 120v elements to it that are similar to my bk, and add a pump to my sytem so that I could:

1: Fly Sparge

2: Use hlt to circulate mash through mt so that I could increase batch size by 100% if hlt doubled as second bk

3: lay hoff stevens keg on side and ferment larger batches in keg with airlock on side coming out of the bunghole.

Here's a diagram of what I was thinking as far as using the hlt to increas the batch size to 24 gallons or so.

Schematic.jpg

Your diagram is too small, but here are my thoughts given what I think you're asking.

1. Certainly adding an HLT will allow you to fly sparge. Honestly, I've always fly sparged but I don't think there's much benefit from it. It takes longer and the efficiency gains aren't all that great.
2. Unless you're planning to make an extremely mild beer or if your MLT is much larger than your BK or HLT (sounds like it's a keggle, so it's not), I don't see how you could get enough grain in the mash to take advantage of two boils.

the idea is that I could put about 40lbs in the mash tun and then circulate water through the grain from the hlt, kind of like using it as a reservoir or just adding volume to the mash tun...

there wouldn't be any grain in it though, and it would then be ready to act as a second bk...

Back