Cold towards the end...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBanjelo

Reaction score
Hello.....rookie here....great forum.

anyways,

It's still cold out here so I've been doing my beer inside (as opposed to the garage). Bottling time is coming up soon and if my girl catches me bottling beer over the carpet I'm not sure what she'd do...

So if I move the carboy out to the garage and let it settle before bottling, will the crash in temps (it's near freezing out there) affect the flavor of my ale?

No, it will be fine. Just make sure you bring it back inside to bottle condition. By the way, do you have carpeting in your kitchen or was there some reason you were planning on bottling in the living room?

Cold crashing is often used to clarify beer immediately before bottling. I would try to make the transfer to the bottling bucket an inside sport just to reduce the possibility of infection due to exposure to outdoor air. Granted, indoor air is often of lower quality than outdoor air and this time of year sees the least contaminants wafting in the air. Once moved to the bottling bucket I would let the sucker sit in the cold for a couple hours prior to bottling specifically to cold crash it.

Cold crashing...do it with most of my beer.

Get a giant sheet of plastic so you can bottle over the carpet. No sense freezing in the garage. Just make sure to transfer to your bottling bucket in the garage so you don't disturb the trub by moving the carboy.

Cold crashing...do it with most of my beer.

Get a giant sheet of plastic so you can bottle over the carpet. No sense freezing in the garage. Just make sure to transfer to your bottling bucket in the garage so you don't disturb the trub by moving the carboy.

Huh? If you are suggesting he bottle in the house why on earch would he take the beer out to the garage to rack to his bottling bucket?

But again, bottle in your garage, bottle in your house, wont make any difference, but if you're worried about the mess take it out ot the garage. You're going to have to leave it out there a lot longer than a couple hours to cold crash it. You could take it out now and bottle it tomorrow or in a couple days if you want to cold crash it.

Huh? If you are suggesting he bottle in the house why on earch would he take the beer out to the garage to rack to his bottling bucket?

But again, bottle in your garage, bottle in your house, wont make any difference, but if you're worried about the mess take it out ot the garage. You're going to have to leave it out there a lot longer than a couple hours to cold crash it. You could take it out now and bottle it tomorrow or in a couple days if you want to cold crash it.

He probably takes the beer out to the garage to transfer to the bottling bucket because he's a dumb-ass like me and will leave the spigot open just far enough to spill a gallon of beer on the floor. It would be no problem in the garage, it was only a minor problem on my kitchen linoleum but on carpet it would be a disaster. :rockin:

I spent over an hour sopping up the beer and scrubbing the floor so the wife wouldn't know how bad it smelled (to her, she hates the smell of beer).

He probably takes the beer out to the garage to transfer to the bottling bucket because he's a dumb-ass like me and will leave the spigot open just far enough to spill a gallon of beer on the floor. It would be no problem in the garage, it was only a minor problem on my kitchen linoleum but on carpet it would be a disaster. :rockin:

I spent over an hour sopping up the beer and scrubbing the floor so the wife wouldn't know how bad it smelled (to her, she hates the smell of beer).

I always spill a bunch too. I know some have suggested bottling over an opened dishwasher door which is a cute idea. The probelm for me is then the damn dishwasher door is in the way so I just put towels on teh ground and any part the towels miss the dog takes care of:mug:

What I was saying is if it is in the cold garage already but he's going to bottle in the house, to transfer it to the bottling bucket first so as not to disturb the yeast and trub that settled to the bottom. Carrying the carboy into the house then transferring would probably stir that stuff up.

What I was saying is if it is in the cold garage already but he's going to bottle in the house, to transfer it to the bottling bucket first so as not to disturb the yeast and trub that settled to the bottom. Carrying the carboy into the house then transferring would probably stir that stuff up.

Okay, I get it now. But the beer was never in the garage (too cold to ferment it out there). His question was would it be okay to bottle it out there (which of course it would be fine).

Cheers, Kevin

Back