Help me guess at what I had in this sour culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
Ok, so the super brief version is that I had some additional runnings from a mash that I put in a mason jar. I did not boil it, nor did I add hops. I stuck an unripe tomato from my parents' garden in the jar, rolled it around, and took it out. Then I sealed it up. I'm pretty confident I had some lacto activity, due to the white specs on the surface. A white pellicle developed about three days in and then went away. Two weeks in I added more wort. It smelled like a goat bathed in rotten milk.

I ended up adding this to a 1 gallon batch at the begining of the boil, so I killed whatever I managed to catch. Fermentation ended as usual (I used 1338) and I bottled it two weeks in. I tasted a little. The sour milk pretty much went away, but there is a very clear goat taste.

Any guesses on what is giving me the goat taste? Any guesses on whether the goat taste will mellow out (or become more prominent) over time?

On the otherhand, the reason why I thought it may not be Brett is because it didn't have the same tart flavor I usually taste in beers conditioned with brett or brewed spontaneously. Then again, my experience with sour/wild beers is not very expansive...

Ok, so the super brief version is that I had some additional runnings from a mash that I put in a mason jar. I did not boil it, nor did I add hops. I stuck an unripe tomato from my parents' garden in the jar, rolled it around, and took it out.

This is the part that confuses me.

The sour milk pretty much went away, but there is a very clear goat taste.

Any guesses on what is giving me the goat taste? Any guesses on whether the goat taste will mellow out (or become more prominent) over time?

Ok...what exactly does a goat taste like....

A follow up on this:

I ended up using the initial culture like a sour mash and tossed it in at the beginning of the boil with a 40% wheat malt/60% barley wort. I fermented it and tasted it when I bottled -- it was still slightly goaty. I tasted it this weekend, prepared for carbinated goat juice and ready to dump the 1 gallon batch. The first one actually had an interesting sweetness to it. No goat flavor. It was good. I tried a second one that apparently didn't get capped well because it wasn't carbed. It tasted goaty. I'm glad the beer ended up turning out well, aside from the carbination issues. No idea why carbination makes goaty turn sweet, but I'm glad it did.

Back