Corona mill usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not top-of-the-line or anything, but it's the only mill I've used and it works fine as long as you continuously monitor the crushed grain's consistency. It kind of loosens itself as you go and you can vary from over-crushed to under-crushed if you aren't careful. I've used it so much though that I have it down to a science. What botheres me more now is that it is kind of "messy" - the physical layout of the thing makes it harder than it should be to easily collect large amounts of crushed grain. I crush into a small mixing bowl and dump it our into a larger container when it fills up.

Put it this way, it was cheap and it works good enough to not replace (at least until i have 10 more cornies, a larger lagering fridge, a conical or five, a brew sculpture, a propane burner, etc, etc, etc. :D )

It works, Mine spits out about 60% efficiency for me. Your better off with one of them pricey phill mill's or the krankenstein.
I get my grain at wholesale prices, so I can afford to throw more grain at my beers to attain the desired gravity.

I use the Porkert mill which is a variation on the corona style. I really like it (partially because it was a Christmas present, free is good!). Fiery Sword is right about the mess though. I made a 2x4 frame to sit on top of a wine juice bucket and crush into that. I also crush outside because it's pretty dusty.

I ended up adding some sides to the frame to come up slightly above the height of the bottom of the disc. This directs any of the grains that want to come out sideways down into the bucket. I power mine with a drill (on LOW speed) and it does a fantastic job. I've only done 2 AG brews so far but I managed to get 73% and 76% efficiency without any tannin extraction that I've been able to detect. I used it for a lot of partial mashing before that and had equal success.

That said if I had bought one myself I think I would have gone for a roller-style malt mill instead.

Brad

bradsul said:
I use the Porkert mill which is a variation on the corona style. I really like it (partially because it was a Christmas present, free is good!). Fiery Sword is right about the mess though. I made a 2x4 frame to sit on top of a wine juice bucket and crush into that. I also crush outside because it's pretty dusty.
Brad

I use a porkert also and find nothing wrong with it. I crush by hand and for 12 Lbs or so don't find the exercise hard. I made a funnel for the grain to fall into my bucket. Some pics.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/hops009.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/hops008.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/hops006.jpg I have even been known to con my better half into "helping" me crush a pound or so.

booboo
My Porkert is way different from yours but it does the same thing.I've made a few posts about it on a couple different threads.I adapted it to a corded drill and go full speed.I like it alot.

Bobby_M
If you can,adapt your Corona to a drill.These little mills suck if you brew a lot and have to crank by hand,as I found out(150# of grain later).

Cheers:mug:

Onescalerguy said:
If you can,adapt your Corona to a drill.These little mills suck if you brew a lot and have to crank by hand,as I found out(150# of grain later).

I agree. I did 3KG of grain for a partial mash with the hand crank and decided that was enough. With the drill it takes less than a minute per KG.

Just rig it up,McGyver style.I had to drill a hole in the shaft just in front of the washer(spacer?)and put a pin through it to maintain the proper distance between the plates.I did away with the crank and chuck the shaft end into the drill.It was chewing up the shaft threads so i put a couple wraps of duct tape on it.I might need to use the crank again sometime so I don't want to ruin the threads.

FlyGuy said:
Does anyone have instructions and/or photos of the drill mod? I wouldn't mind trying that. Thanks!
I don't have the Corona but here is what I did for the Porkert if anyone else is interested. This method also allows you to use the handle if you need to.

(1) M8 1.25 45MM bolt
(1) M8 1.25 nut

I cut the hex head off the bolt and then used a grinder to make 2cm of one end of the bolt 3 sided. Thread the nut onto the bolt far enough that you can then screw the bolt into the spindle for the handle, then use the nut to lock it on.

Took about 5 minutes include 'adjusting' the accuracy of my 3 sided grind with a hammer. :D I imagine the Corona would be basically the same (though different thread size I would imagine).

Brad

Onescalerguy said:
Just rig it up,McGyver style.I had to drill a hole in the shaft just in front of the washer(spacer?)and put a pin through it to maintain the proper distance between the plates.I did away with the crank and chuck the shaft end into the drill.It was chewing up the shaft threads so i put a couple wraps of duct tape on it.I might need to use the crank again sometime so I don't want to ruin the threads.

Ahhh, gotcha. I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

I've had a Corona style mill (that I bought from Northern Tool), sitting in my basement that I haven't tried to use yet.

Other than using a drill, are there any other mods, or do you have any tips for using it to grind grain?

One of these days I'll have to buy a pound or two just to try it out before committing an entire batch to it

-S

I bought a really large funnel and increased the hopper size on my porkert. I can get 3KG of grain in at one time now. The original capacity was 1KG at most. I just cut the cone off the funnel and used some self-tapping screws to attach to the existing hopper.

lustreking said:
Other than using a drill, are there any other mods, or do you have any tips for using it to grind grain?
-S

You may need to space out between the adjustable plate where the wingnuts are. You can see where I did that with mine. The flat washer is seen just above the u shaped cut in my sheet metal of my funnell.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/hops009.jpg

I did that on advise I got from another brew board.

I finally got my Barley Crusher today that SWMBO promised to get me for Christmas. The label says "A Homebrewer's Best Friend"

Very cool. The base as 3 rubber feet that fit inside a standard 5 gallon bucket, plus you can set it on a table since the rollers are above the wood base. I'm stoked. My bulk grain order will arrive next week. Time for another batch of Haus Pale Ale. Total cost this time: $7.95 for 5 gallons.

MyBarleyCrusher.jpg

boo boo said:
Wow, that looks like the cats meow alright.
That hopper must hold at least 10# of grain.

Merry christmas....

Thanks! It's the 15# hopper. I'm a big guy, so I get the big hopper.

bradsul said:
Why is Christmas or birthday always so far away? I really want one of those. :D

yeah, I know. I got a card with a picture in it. She finally got around to ordering it and it arrived today. Christmas in January! Whoo Hoo.

I looked at Crankenstein and others and this impressed me as the best value. It comes with a lifetime warranty, so it's the only one I'll have. I'll be building a table with a motor when the Brew Shed becomes a reality.

I don't have the Corona but I was thinking about buying it. I'd really like a roller but I'm converting to all grain and kegging at the same time so I feel guilty dropping all this cash. I'm actually kinda stuck getting a mill now though because I picked up a 50lb sack of 2 row at the LHBS for the bulk savings. These mills seem to have good resale value though, a Phil's 2 went for $100 on Ebay just now.

I got mine from Northern Tool for around $21 shipped. Their website says it isn't available, but if you call them, they still do have it.

The item number is 168670

-S

I rigged up a "Gilligan's Island" style exercise bike to grind grain. After a few minutes of turning that crank by hand, it did get a little tiresome, moving your arm in that big arc.

I would grind about 12 lbs at a time, and pedalling that bike was pretty easy.

I used a funnel made out of a cut out plastic laundry soap container, to keep the dust down.

I was looking to build a roller mill, when I dropped out of brewing back in 1993. I moved out of state, and lost my brewing space.

Thinking about starting up again...:mug:

Back