What happened to The Pol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard through the grape vine he was given a bunch of crap over something he designed for little to no reason and decided he'd had enough and left the forum. May not be 100% accurate, but probably pretty close to what went down...

Something like that went down. I PM'ed him to try and get him to change his mind, but he was not accepting PMs. That is when I knew he was leaving for good. More's the pity, because he had some very interesting stuff going on and IMO was a valuable resource to the community.

Not sure about Edwort.

I know Kahuna is busy with whatever he is doing now (think it's something to do with a newspaper). He shows up on twitter fairly often.

Biggy and Ed got new jobs and became to busy to be active. Ed was around forever too, so maybe he just got bored....

The Pol got a sandy you know what. He made cool stuff and couldn't handle criticism. The remarks made about his designs were very valid and he just didn't take it well. Don't post to a public forum if you don't want to be corrected. People telling you that you have built something that is unsafe is no reason to get all panty bundled.

I got blasted in the Simple Brewery build thread. Did I cry and quite? No. I made my future builds better and tried to learn from my mistakes. I think The Pol is a good example of how not to act. I also think he rubbed some people the wrong way.

To bad though... it is always fun looking at shiny pictures and he was always good for that.

This seems to happen about once a year or so. Too bad, I loved his beer pr0n. As far as the other two, I guess it's better to be too busy with work than on here all day because you don't have a job... ok, I'm done...

Well that's too bad, I just figured the guy was busy. I had fun looking at his over-the-top blingman electric brewery! It's a bummer he didn't have a thicker skin. But as I like to say, if you can't take the criticism then gather up all your crap and GTFO!

Sorry to see this. I hadn't noticed. He contributed some good things here. I can see where he would have gotten sick of everty thing. He was building a personal brew rig for himself, not offering advice or how to's as an electrician and was clear that he was not trying to do that. It wasn't his responsibility to hold everyone's hand through their builds of his system, but I feel he went beyond what could have been expected to help everyone out. It's a shame he felt that he couldn't just hang out here and probably felt more like a firing range for all things electrical when he never claimed to be knowledgeable in the field anyway. He made that very clear in the beginning of his cooler rig build. He was also the "main player" in bringing the No-Chill method into spotlight with actual testing. Shame to see him go regardless of the reason.

Sorry to see this. I hadn't noticed. He contributed some good things hear. I can see where he would have gotten sick of evertything. He was building a personal brew rig for himself, not offering advice or how to's as an electrician and was clear that he was not trying to do that. It wasn't his responsibility to hold everyone's hand through their builds of his system, but I feel he went beyond what could have been expected to help everyone out. It's a shame he felt that he couldn't just hang out here and probably felt more firing range for all things electrical when he never claimed to be knowledgeable in the field anyway. He made that very clear in the beginning of his cooler rig build. He was also the "main player" in bringing the No-Chill method into spotlight with actual testing. Shame to see him go regardless of the reason.

1. He was pretty clear that he was building the brew rig for the purpose of selling it.

2. Sometimes people underestimate how many home brewers don't post here. I was reading about no chill 3-4 years ago at least. The Australians where the main players, The Pol was, at best, a main player in informing people who read here and not elsewhere about it.

The more you know.

I can't help myself. I apologize in advance to any who don't agree with my views.

The correct response to someones advice is to either say, 'Yes, thank you for the advice.' Then make the changes. Or to say, 'Thank you for your advice. I will take it into consideration in the future, but I don't have the time/means/etc. to change it now.' Or to say nothing.

Acting like a martyr is silly. One of my problems with The Pol was that he presented many ideas as his own. Sure he had some disclaimer somewhere saying he didn't know anything... blah blah blah.

To be frank, Lonnie came up with the Brutus 20 design, people have been brewing with electric forever, the Australians were no brewing for years, Sizz was the first to try super high wattage, others used hard mounted stainless coils long ago, etc. ad nauseum. I feel like it is a dick move, to never credit people and then act childish when called out on safety features (e.g., don't do this you will die electricity will kill you!) ahahaha it is so funny. ;)

I noticed a ton of succesive mod-deleted posts in the Bling, Bling thread so I assume that was it. Even Orfy had posts mod-deleted in that thread.

IF it was an ego thing (big IF, I don't know Pol well enough to say), I'd bet he still reads posts here and probably this thread.

He was at the opposite end of the brewing spectrum as I am (he likes to build stuff to make brewing as easy as possible...I still do most everything by hand and like the 'hands-on' approach) so I liked seeing his posts 'from the other side'. We all have our reasons for brewing the way we do.

1. He was pretty clear that he was building the brew rig for the purpose of selling it.

2. Sometimes people underestimate how many home brewers don't post here. I was reading about no chill 3-4 years ago at least. The Australians where the main players, The Pol was, at best, a main player in informing people who read here and not elsewhere about it.

The more you know.
Sorry I didn't clear #2 up. I meant to say "on here".
#1, I guess the 2nd rig was to sell, but not a commerical product. It's a home brewery. "Buyer be aware" Should be assumed. If you're not comfortable with his build, don't buy it.
A lot of people are perfectly fine with, "meh, it works". It's no one else's position to criticize how much another cares about how or why.

I had my post deleted from Bling Bling for asking this threads question and the reason why I posted this in the first place.
I checked Edwort's profile and see he was active 2 weeks ago, so I'm glad he still gets on.

Pol said he was continuing the thread on another forum, but that post got deleted, anyone have a link?

There will always be another forum and a whole other group of people willing to give you props and criticisms all the same. The grass is always greener I suppose.

The Pol got a sandy you know what. He made cool stuff and couldn't handle criticism. The remarks made about his designs were very valid and he just didn't take it well. Don't post to a public forum if you don't want to be corrected. People telling you that you have built something that is unsafe is no reason to get all panty bundled.

I got blasted in the Simple Brewery build thread. Did I cry and quite? No. I made my future builds better and tried to learn from my mistakes. I think The Pol is a good example of how not to act. I also think he rubbed some people the wrong way.

To bad though... it is always fun looking at shiny pictures and he was always good for that.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It sucks cause despite the fact that he didnt come up with the idea of brewing with electric he did make it popular and accessible to more people. I bet there wouldnt be nearly as many electric rig threads if it wasnt for his.

It's too bad to see him go. He did a really great job of documenting his builds and helping out people who wanted to replicate them.

If anyone knows where he is continuing to document his current build, please send me a PM.

No one has stated the obvious... Maybe his unsafe rig up and bit him! The irony!

Just kidding. One shouldn't joke about things like that. I'm sorry.

Seriously though, he was always on the edge of a hissy fit. I remember back when he was posting a new thread everyday about how great brewmasters warehouse is. Hey, I love brewmasters warehouse as much as the next guy, and use them often, but what the pol was doing was ridiculous. When he posted an advertisement for BMW in an AHS thread, I gently mentioned that it might be inappropriate and he had a little fit. He was a jerk to me ever since. Basically, if you question him or his ideas you become his enemy. :p

seriously. Everyone seems to be coming out of the wood work at the chance to bash someone who isn't even hear anymore. If you "don't like him", why do you care enough about him to let it ruin your day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back