Kern River Just Outstanding IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbaddad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some help. I have this recipe that I am going to do in an attempt to come close to Kern River's Just Outstanding IPA. According to the brewery, the grains in the beer are the following: 2-row, carapils, wheat, honey malt, c-40, and munich 10.

Warrior is the bittering charge somewhere between 30-35 IBU

Simcoe is the aroma. Overall IBUs are about 70-75.

Dry-hopped with simcoe & amarillo.

I have come up with this, but given the information above, would any of you change the percentages of grains or hops? The below recipe (5.5 Gallon) gives me around the 6.8/6.9 estimated ABV which is what JO is listed as. It also gives me an IBU of 69 which a tad short of the range listed above but close enough for starters.

I posted another version of this in the Just Outstanding IPA thread on here last week, but have gotten no replies. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.8 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.5 %
12.8 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.7 %
1.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 32.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 18.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
Mash @ 151/150 and use 01 yeast.

So I brewed the recipe below on 1/4. Basically added more honey malt and a flameout addition. I will let you know how it turns out if anyone is interested. Samples sure tasted good!

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
26 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.2 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.3 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.5 %
1.50 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 34.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 19.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 10.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.6 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mashed @ 151 came in a little under with 1.065 as OG. I batch sparge.

I enjoyed this beer. It tastes very simple and clean on the palate. Not too much going on in the way of the malt or yeast character, (which some people can find boring) but I liked it because of the hop showcase. I would have probably included some Amarillo in the late boil additions and hopstand/flameout instead of going all Simcoe at these slots.

If I had to guess, I would say theres probably 1/2 the amount less of your last edit in terms of total honey malt and cara- malts. Then maybe mashed at more like 148/149. Otherwise, your attempt looks decent enough and should still offer good results.

Thanks. From what I heard, the amarillo is only in the dry hop. Yeah, the honey malt may be a bit too much. I will probably keep playing with it based on what this turns out like.

I love this beer, I lived in Kernville for a couple years and have been mountainbiking there forever, It was my goto drink if he didn't have the Citra. Gotta Brew it and see how close I can get it.

I am trying to formulate a 5g partial mash version of this, but was wondering if your recipe is for a 10 gallon batch? 26lbs of pale malt converts to over 15lbs of DME, which seems nuts for 5g batch, am I wrong? Seems like half that recipe would get you near 7%

I am going to try and dig out Kyle's email, I hope I still have it, and see if I can get him to give me a recipe. Will post it if he does.

Yeah, it is actually for an 11 gallon batch so adjust accordingly. I am excited to see how it comes out. I have only had JO a couple times, but loved it. I may have to hunt down some bottles once mine is finally done to compare.

@fergyrock

A PM version of this beer would be something very pale and basic for the grist...

30-50% American 2-Row (mashed lower than the original recipe intended to aid with further drying, i.e. 147-148F), Extra Light DME (3/4 or of which is added late in the boil), and about 5-7% Corn Sugar to further help drying out due to the presence of the extract.

Use Light Munich and White Wheat (< 5% each) along with Honey Malt and C-40 (< 5% total). Skip the carapils since it's already found in extract.

With the extract, I doubt you'll be able to hit the 4-5 SRM that I remember this beer being, but the aroma/flavor should be close.

@Cbaddad, Thanks that's what I was thinking, good info to know

@bobbrews

Thanks that helps a lot, even if it is a little pale, if I can get close to the flavor and aroma I would be quite pleased.

I have not made the equipment investment yet to brew AG but I am hoping in another few months SWMBO will let me invest a bit more to do it. just need to make her a couple more brews that she likes. :) I may give AG a go BIAB but I still think I need better gear/bigger kettle.

Where in the Sierra's are you? Been in them almost my whole life, think I have finally settled in Reno.

So at seven weeks out, this beer is coming along nicely. I really like it and think it will improve in the next week or so. There is a touch more sweetness than I remember, so I would brew the first recipe if you are looking for a clone. I will do that in two weeks. Anyway, it is mighty tasty right now even though it is a bit young. I will keep updating this thread when I do diffeent batches. Post results if anyone brews this.

image.jpg

Back