Cut keg top for false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see now:

Estimated $20 for parts & 4-5 hours even at a minimum wage would be roughly another $32 or so for a combined approximate total of $52.

While I admire the effort and your craftsmanship, I really don't understand why you would not simply buy a manufactured FB similar to this one for only $39 plus shipping:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/11-sanke-stainless-steel-false-bottom.html

I like building stuff myself, but sometimes it just seems to make more sense to simply buy it off the shelf.

Some things are not ALL about money!...very often its the satisfaction of creating or making your own stuff for free or on the cheap that holds more appeal than opting for the quick and boring option.......DIY is about fun and creativity and the sense of achievement and pride that it brings...looking at some of the posts here it seems some people have more money than sense or time...pity them for being rich boring poor rushed off their feet souls lol!...:D

benbradford.... Thanks for the inspiration!

IMG00548-20120220-1216.jpg
[/IMG]

Tons of great info in this thread, guys! I am only 4 beers-deep in my brewing career, but a friend and I converted a keggle over the weekend with a 12" hole in the top. Standard 12" pot cover fits like a glove! My question to you guys with the slitted keg top for the false bottom is does it perform up to par? I have access to a drill press at work, but I could do the slits at home. What would you guys recommend?

Ahfack said:
Tons of great info in this thread, guys! I am only 4 beers-deep in my brewing career, but a friend and I converted a keggle over the weekend with a 12" hole in the top. Standard 12" pot cover fits like a glove! My question to you guys with the slitted keg top for the false bottom is does it perform up to par? I have access to a drill press at work, but I could do the slits at home. What would you guys recommend?

I made slits with an angle grinder and also drilled some holes with a drill. Works like a charm, haven't had any problems yet.

I have brewed MANY of batches on mine. I have only had issues where I ground the grain to fine, I chalk this to brewer failure not part failure. FWIW even under those dismal conditions it still worked.

I have brewed some of the stickiest mashes known to brewers (pumpkin ales) in mine. I am still even using the same bung...

I have direct fired it and used my RIMS system in tandem with it. Best reuse of scrap I have done to date.

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely do the combination of slits + holes to ensure performance. Right now, I just have the 1 keggle, which is acting as my kettle (untill now I've been using a friend's burner/kettle), I got a sightglass/thermometer combo on the way from Bobby. I think when I convert my next keggle for all grain, I'll put the spigot on the bottom, and already have this part ready! Thanks again, guys!

I thought about this when I got my first keg, cut and tossed the top into the scrap bin. I was pissed when I did a search and found this thread. Now, I have 2 more kegs, got one cut and I am drilling the holes now.
I recommend titanium drill bits. I've done have the holes on one bit.
Also I am thinking of using a stainless steel braid under the KTFB as a backup. I have a corona style mill, and i get a lot of flour.
Now, what can we do with the spears from the kegs

Riddei said:
I thought about this when I got my first keg, cut and tossed the top into the scrap bin. I was pissed when I did a search and found this thread. Now, I have 2 more kegs, got one cut and I am drilling the holes now.
I recommend titanium drill bits. I've done have the holes on one bit.
Also I am thinking of using a stainless steel braid under the KTFB as a backup. I have a corona style mill, and i get a lot of flour.
Now, what can we do with the spears from the kegs

I made a mash paddle with the shank and a piece of the lid. Looks great.

I used stainless nuts and bolts I had on hand. I tried to solder it but couldn't get the silver solder to stick.

Thanks. Here's what it looks like. I'm gonna drill some holes in the paddle. Some 'speed holes' as Homer Simpson might say. Lol

ForumRunner_20120405_180047.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_180040.jpg

I know we kinda ganked the thread with this, but that looks spectacular. I am going to have to build one write an article on the beer lovers site.

@ petro that is a nice paddle. IMO I would remove the "crown" on the handle. You do not need it there and it will not only clean up the look but be easier/more sanitary to use. The only other suggestion I would have would be to get some 7/8" (I am guessing from what I remember it is.) ID thin silicon tubing (maybe a foot?) spray the handle down with starsan (That will make it temporary slippery) and slide the hose down the handle. This will help you not only hold onto it but help shield your hand from heat. (I bet that thing gets warm!)

If not then that is OK too. These were just minor improvements on a fantastic build. ;)

I'm actually making my paddle section a bit long and will have some half inch drilled holes. I haven't thought about putting a no slip grip on it, but I like that Idea.
Cheers

I'm making an FB from my keg bottom. What size holes and what spacing is good??

i would keep the drill size under 1/8th inch (.125).. and the more holes the better.. you can put a ton of holes at that dia without worrying to much about the structural integrity (within reason)...

aquenne said:
here is the one i made

Aquenne, Can you please explain what we're looking at. What did you make the edge out of? I assume the copper tube goes to the spigot on your keggle, correct? Finally, what did you use to smooth off your cuts and holes. I made something similar and I am always snagging my BIAB bag on it.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any answers

Aquenne, Can you please explain what we're looking at. What did you make the edge out of? I assume the copper tube goes to the spigot on your keggle, correct? Finally, what did you use to smooth off your cuts and holes. I made something similar and I am always snagging my BIAB bag on it.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any answers

No problem.

So this FB sits the way it looks in the pic.. The slits were cut with a thin wheel grinder disc (1/8th thk).. the holes were .096, drilled on a drill press.
To smooth, I just took a non-metallic grinder pad to it to remove any bits of metal stick hanging loose, and then buffed it on a brass wheel on a bench grinder..

thats about it.. there are 2 large stainless washer covering the large hole from the sanke coupler from either side.. they are about 1.25" id, 2" od

then 2 smaller 3/4" id washers for the 1/2 NPT connection..

FWIW Mine is still working flawlessly. I have even direct fired the MLT. This is more of an update than anything else...

The first image is what i started out with. I banged out the bottom to invert it slightly so it wasn't completely a dome (less dead space i was hoping). Don't let the lighting fool you it's completely round :)

I used 1/8" cutting disc on my grinder. Took a couple hours total to complete. I used very small files to clean up all the cut edges. The knob is an unfinished maple knob from HD with a stainless screw.

0629121829a_01.jpg

0701122111_01.jpg

0701122111a_01.jpg

0701122112_01.jpg

0701122112a_01.jpg

Thanks Aquenne. I will take your lead. I have a little cutting work to do on mine then to the refinishing. I like the idea of the siphon tube through the middle. I have given up on worrying about grub. Just let it settle in the primary and rack. I still am confused about what the cream colored edge on your FB is. Or am I confused?

I also got a plastic scrubby from the grocery store to put around the base of the dip tube, due to one time occurance of grain getting around edge of the false bottom, and clogging the dip tube. Works great so far, be even I see myself in the future getting an nice professional false bottom, when all of the other needs of my brewery are solved(years from now).

whoa. gotta say, I'm excited about trying this project. Why not a stainless scrubby, or copper? Less cancer, perhaps?

Hi Guys, I was looking over this thread and thought I would add my own thoughts to the greater good. I just pulled a Sanke spear apart and am going to use it as a false bottom adapter. I took the Stainless Ball out and am using the spring that was used to retain the spear. Now I assemble with just the rubber "Grommet" and stainless spring to hold the rubber spear top in place. Haven't tried it yet, but I think the hole is perfect size for a 1/2" copper pickup tube. Now to have at the keg top with the grinder!IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Latest posts

Back