captain over kill stikes again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblott1

Reaction score
I was looking for a wort chiller that could cool down a boil that was 20-30 gallons. someone told me about a 'rib cage' design that looked pretty cool. i noticed that it was really 2 shorter coils with a shared inlet and a shared outlet. then i wonder if anyone had done that with 4 coils or a clover design.......i couldnt resist it, not with 100' of rolled copper just laying around. so here it is for your amusement

P1030038.jpg

P1030039.jpg

P1030041.jpg

Wow...I've wanted to make a "rib cage" chiller for a long time but couldn't really justify the extra cost. That's just ridiculous...in a good way...

PHENOMINAL! I like thinking outside the box and new things! You did it there with your irrespect for thermal nonsense and just making it work... Do you sell these devices of grandure?

And I thought the neighbors made comments about my chiller...

"That's sum kinna 'shine you makin' out there boy!"

Have you tested it yet? Does it work?

Elephant man's rib cage chiller....LOL

Your first beer should be a nice Tetanus Ale. No offense but those are some ugly soldering joints!!!!

Just joking...LOL

I think that's what a normal wort chiller would look like after someone unleashes a decades worth of sexual frustration upon it.

I think that's what a normal wort chiller would look like after someone unleashes a decades worth of sexual frustration upon it.

Haha!

I bet it will drop the wort temperature quickly with all that surface area.

thanks! i'm glad it is amuzing. it is to me too. to clean it i boiled it already. i figured i would drop it in during the last 15 minutes of a boil just to make sure it sanitized and then after just spray it off and wait till the next brew.

and yes.....those are some ugly solder joints. the thing was a pain to solder. 1/2 refrigeration is really 3/8" standard copper (the reducer was hard to find). i didnt want to mess it up so i used "extra" to make sure it would pass the pressure test, which thankfully it did the first time.

what could be better, one 25' ic or four 25' ics rigged together, plus it gave me something to do in the garage

i havent used it yet. i will next monday. this will be the first run of my new set up. (2) keggles used as mash tuns, 55 gallon SS drum as a boil pot and my new 30 gallon conical. i plan doing a 20 gallon batch so we'll see nxt how she does.

P1030042.jpg

As I see it it's only got about 3 problems for me.
1- At current copper prices it's worth more than my house.
2- You have to have armed guards to keep an eye on it when you're not around.
3- You have to have Godzilla on the payroll to pick it up for you. :)

One workshop with lots of tools just sitting on the dusty workbench. !

One Hundred feet of 3/8 copper tubing waiting to be put to good use. !

One VERY CREATIVE GUY with a few extra hours on his hands. !

P R I C E L E S S :mug:

Is that what kinda IC's the home brewers are now using in arizona?

ONE WORD AWESOME!!!!

Back