Chest Freezer conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
Just bought a Frigidaire 15 Cu Ft chest freezer at Lowes for $383. Nice unit. It even comes with two sets of hanging basket. I have been following a few of the kegerator conversion posts, which describe the use of a wooden collar. Looks simple enough, but it is a lot of work. I do not mind drilling a hole in the lid of the chest freezer to install a beer tower. Are there any reasons why this does not seem to be a common approach? The only issue I can think of is your first pour might not be as cold as the second. I also plan on putting casters on the freezer, to avoid hitting the beer tower against the wall.

Thanks

Circle C Brewer

Frigidiare.jpg

Pretty easy to put a collar on the freezer and mine holds a constant temp. I had it all done in a weekend, just recently I added my forth tap to it.

Insideguts.jpg
[/IMG]

It's not hard at all and if you measure right, you can get Lowes to cut the wood for you.

Kegerator-Collar1.jpg

If your collar is tall enough, you can get an extra keg or two in there.

Kegerator-Collar2.jpg

Putting a tower on is cool, but becomes a pain when you need to open the lid to change out kegs, connectors, etc.

If you need some help, PM me. I'll send you my phone number.

Yeah, the collar is definately easier in terms of access to your kegs. I have a simple 2x6 collar that only took a couple hours to install. I drilled holes in it for C02 line, temp control, and of course tapes. I would recommend the collar.
mark
Beer Diary...

With a chest that size, you can fit something like 7 cornies in there (at least I'd hope since my 8.9cuft fits 5). Are you prepared to put a 6-8 faucet tower on? That's pricy.

I just drilled a hole through the top of my freezer. Just make sure you insulate the inside of your tower and secure it to the keezer tightly so no air escapes. I have a smaller freezer than you and fit 5 cornies and the CO2 tank in there.

As soon as it's set up, you'll love it!

It's cheaper to build a collar and add taps there, than it is to put multiple towers on the lid.

I did mine and I had never used a mitre saw in my life. Dont sweat it. Take your time, read the threads watch bobby's videos and have fun. I love mine and I am so proud of it because I did it all on my own.

Plus the collar making is cheap :) - its the rest that costs you ha ha

I'm looking at building a collar and I'm not sure on the size. 1x4 or 2x4? Any thoughts?

I'm looking at building a collar and I'm not sure on the size. 1x4 or 2x4? Any thoughts?

It depends on whether you are attaching the lid to the collar or the freezer itself, and how big the freezer is. I have a 15 cu ft, and I built the collar out of 2x6's. That seemed to be the best all-around fit for me.

I didn't want to deal with a foamy/warm first pour especially since I usually only pour one beer at a time. I know it can be solved with some kind of glycol voodoo but I don't know nuthin 'bout that.

Also the price. 6 faucets (5 perlicks +1 stout) on a collar is way cheaper than a 6 faucet tower. 1x4 was all I needed. Plenty of room and the only height restriction without the collar was that my regulator had to face down. No longer.

the width of the 2x on my kegerator is a good fit. It matches the thickness of the freezer wall and the seal seats on it just right. It is also very sturdy.
mark
Beer Diary...

Please pardon this off-topic post, but Cyprus messaged me and his mail box is full so I could not reply.

Cyprus!! Clear your private message mailbox so I can reply to your question.

...1. I do not mind drilling a hole in the lid of the chest freezer to install a beer tower. Are there any reasons why this does not seem to be a common approach? The only issue I can think of is your first pour might not be as cold as the second.

2. I also plan on putting casters on the freezer, to avoid hitting the beer tower against the wall.

1. A tower on top of the chest door is "some weight". If you lift it too fast it can and will hit the wall. This could damage it. Plus, what if you ever gave up brewing? Now you can't convert the freezer back into a freezer.

2. I have mine on a dolly also. So you plan on pulling it out from the wall every time you load it up?

3. I would re-think your tower plan and recommend a collar. It really is much easier. Save the tower for a kegerator or a basement bar. ;)

Back