What is most citrusy hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amarillo hops are excellent, citrusy hops. Centennial and Chinook hops are high alpha hops that have a citrusy character as well.

A combination of Perle, Amarillo and Cascades also does a great grapefruit imitation.

CULTIVAR: Cascade
PEDIGREE: [Fuggle x (Serebrianka-Fuggle Seedling)]

And Amarillo is a Cascade sport.

I've brewed several beers with Amarillo, and I can definately say that it is a citrusy hop. It doesn't have as much grapefruit on its own as some other hops, but still quite citrusy.

Others have reported that Summit is citrusy. I have a pound in my freezer I haven't gotten around to using yet, but I'll find out soon as I'm brewing a Chinook + Summit IPA this weekend.

+1 on Summit. It has a very tangerine/orangey flavor and aroma. Beirmuncher's Summit pale ale recipe is amazing. I just did an IPA with all summit and it smells great.

Nelson Sauvin is a very grapefruity hop (I'm a big fan). It is almost harvest time in New Zealand, so you may see some around soon.

Magnum is quite citrusy, and a great bittering hop. It's economical too, a little goes a long way! My favorite combo is Magnum for bittering, and Cascade for aroma.

My #1 choice for domestic would be Amarillo, however because of our great hop shortage *gasp* I was forced to look for alternatives.

My LHBS literally just received a new group of hops from New Zealand two days ago, and yesterday I was lucky enough to grab big bags of Riwaka and Pacific Hallertau.

Riwaka has to be the most citrusy, tropical, bright, and fruity hop I have ever seen/smelled. It's definitely an aroma hop at 4.5% AAU however when I rubbed the leaves it had an amazingly slick texture (high prevelance of oils).

Last night I brewed up a batch of Amber with 4 separate additions of Riwaka and Pacific Hallertau....so far I can smell it coming out of my airlock!

grab some if you can find it.

simcoe is like cascade on crack and AHS always has it.

Did an IPA with amarillo and dryhopped with simcoe and it smelled and tasted like grapefruit.

I have had a couple of amarillo simcoe APAs and IPAs and they taste almost like pineapple to me. Delicious!

Back