Vikings blood clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleaves

Reaction score
Here it is, tried and true, I've been told by several people its better than the original drink of Thor.

5 gal batch

15lbs raw wildflower honey
1/2 lbs organic raisins (nutrients)
2 oz hibiscus, I used heather tips which worked similarly.
2.5 oz Styrian Goldings
Lalvin d47

I wrote the OG but I lost it....oops, but it makes a 15% abv, which is the max for d47, plenty of residual sugar but not too sweet.

Boil water take off heat and add honey while water is still hot but don't boil the honey. Let sit for 4 hours, I didn't bother with an ice bath. Into the carboy. I just rehydrated the yeast I didn't make a starter, just warm water while doing the other stuff. The simplistic recipe gives better results as the delicate flavor of mead is affected easily.

Put raisins and a bit of water...1/2 cup?...in a skillet and heat until raisins start to plump up and smell good. Mash raisins with a potato masher, let cool a bit then add to the carboy. Pitch yeast. I was at about 70f throughout fermentation. Took about 3 weeks to a month. Rack off. Bulk age for 3-4 months. Dry hop with hibiscus or heather and Styrian Goldings for about 1 week. Rack off and bottle. It needs a couple more months in the bottle as the hops have an olive flavor at the beginning but it ages out. Then....poundin' mead guy!

Additional, flavor will vary depending on the flowers in the wild flower honey, but should be along the same line. Buy local!

Btw I know it seems like a lot of hibiscus or heather whatever the case maybe, but trust me

I'm in Portsmouth, NH Portsmouth health food sells bulk spices and such. So any independent natural store should have it.

Sorry, no pictures, it's all gone except for one little bottle. I should make more though. Everyone that tried it loved it. Some people still talk about it.

Has anyone tried this one? I am planning on making my first mead and was thinking of giving this one a try.

This sounds like a very interesting mead. I plan on trying this later in the winter. I have both heather tips and hibiscus so perhaps I will make a small batch of both and do a side by side test. But that said, a really good hopped mead is the following one
http://meadist.com/making-mead/mead-recipes/hop-head-mead/

I've made this and it is delicious but I don't boil any of the honey and simply boil the hops in the water. I have a batch on my fermenting table which I will be racking off the dry hops on Wednesday (two weeks dry hopping)

Thanks!

Where do you get hibiscus?

Check you grocery store, a lot of them have dried hibiscus in the produce or mexican aisles, it might be labeled jamaica, which is hibiscus in spanish.

Edit: just noticed that post was from 2 years ago, but if anyone else wonders I guess the above is still good info, agua de jamaica is delicious too btw.

Thanks for the recipe. This is one of my favorite meads. I live in florida and have wild hibiscus everywhere and orange season just started (so fresh orange blossom honey). Excited to try a small 1 gal version of this!

I have not tried it yet but coincidentally I was drinking some of the real deal last night and thought about this thread! I'll have to put it on my to do list.

I'm thinking I got a bad bottle of this last time (only time) I tried this because it was so universally disliked by all who tried it including me. I will have to give this another chance and hope I don't get a spoiled sample this time.

Back