Drinking my first beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebrugler

Reaction score
Is this what a proud Dad feels like?

image-3072683745.jpg

This website has by far been the greatest wealth of information into the beer brewing hobby. This beer has only been carbing for a week and a half, but I couldn't wait any longer. Put in the fridge for 3 days and that was the result. Tasted like a solid stout and had decent carbonation. There was a nice compacted yeast slurry in the bottom so I got most of the beer out of the bottle without leaving much behind.

Biggest things I learned from my first beer was airlock activity means nothing!! I fermented this for 4 weeks and only had activity on the second day for 12 hours. Sure enough it fermented. I wish I had a wort chiller and auto siphon for bottling but oh well. I also wish I had gotten all of the lme out of the container. Either way, I'm now addicted and have read through the forum for countless hours and have a starter decanting in the fridge for a hefeweizen to be brewed on Sunday!

Congrats... Looks great!
Just bottled my first beer last night. Arrogant Bastard clone.
Glass is cool... Besides the bud logo. Hahahahaha

Welcome to the obsession!! And funny you say the proud father comment because my fiancee always refers to my full fermenters as "our kids" lol But it is pretty sweet popping your own beer isnt it?

Ostomo517 said:
Welcome to the obsession!! And funny you say the proud father comment because my fiancee always refers to my full fermenters as "our kids" lol But it is pretty sweet popping your own beer isnt it?

Hearing the hiss when I popped the top was awesome. For anyone interested this was the basic Midwest Irish stout. OG was around 1.040-1.042 and FG was around 1.012, so not a very high abv beer, but can definitely taste hints of chocolate and coffee and it's still beer!

After the Hefeweizen I wanna try to make my own non "kit" beer, some sort of fruity summer beer around 5 or 6 abv. Any and all suggestion welcome! Only caveat is I am still on extract with steeping grains.

Nahh - a new dad feels even more proud - and scared.

Congratulations, kebrugler. Just the first of many. There are great extract recipes right here on homebrewtalk including fruit beers. I start with recipes having many posts because they are probably the more successful ones. Watermelon wheat sounds perfect for a hot summer day.

If you find the perfect recipe expressed as all grain you can convert it to extract
1 pound 2-row grain malt is approximately
.75 lbs liquid malt extract or
.6 lb dry malt extract

Right on! Love the midwest kits. I first made the honey porter kit and loved it to the last drop, and tasted better the longer it sat. Since then ive made their cream stout, and the octane (oaked) ipa which i HIGHLY recommend. That octane was a damn tasty beer. Gonna modify it and try making an imperial. Congrats on a successful first batch! Cheers!

Nicely done. Always great to taste what can be done with a few plants and bugs.

Glad to see you had a great beer. Mine was an APA with an IBU of around 45-50 if my math is correct and an ABV of 6.5. Next you should buy a keg.

Congrats!

I just popped my first homebrew a week ago, a pumpkin ale. It is great feeling (especially when I found it was actually quite drinkable). I spent so much time in Jan. and Feb. reading all the great info found on this site I just went straight to all grain with a recipe from this site.

Consider yourself hooked in now. First been drank, time to plan out the next 5 or 6 your want to brew :)

Congrats man! I second whoever said SAISON... quickly has become my favorite style of beer. I am somewhat new as well (~4 months of brewing and about 6 batches) I was wondering why you think you need a wort chiller for bottling? As far as I know you may need to boil a small amount of water to dissolve your priming sugar, but the beer overall should remain at room temp with no cooling necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, man try the Midwest Saison.

Check out your LHBS the guys there can probably help with a recipe for you! Ive found mine (Sunset Hydroponics and Home Brewing) to be another great source of information for recipes!

Looks great! Im on my third beer batch (iipa) and first cider batch right now. I wish I still had the recipe for my first batch, was simply amazing.

Congrats! That looks delicious! Nice lacing on it, too.

I hope the glass doesn't affect the flavor too much :p

@Kebrugler, congrats on the first brew!! I just bottled my first batch (IIPA) this weekend! Already got my second kit, a Hefeweizen as well!! Glad to see other people on the same page as me because after the Hefe I want to brew one without a kit as well, although i want to try some kind of white IPA, (me and my friend have been hooked on Deschutes Chainbreaker). I also bought a second airlock to start a hard cider sometime soon as well. Can't wait for the IIPA to carb though!! Loving this hobby/obsession!!

This is my first six home brews upgrading along the way from all extract to a partial mash.

2013-04-22_14.45.03.jpg

Congrats and keep up the good work. I am just getting back in because I had forgotten how good it much fun it was.

Congratulations! Out of all the advice I could give you, probably the most important would be....remember to keep having fun while doing it. Some people can get pretty uptight about things, and I don't personally think that is what brewing is all about. It still amazes me that I can take those basic ingredients, do a few things, and wind up with such a good thing in the end. As it has already been stated, welcome to the obsession!!!

I remember my first. I share in your excitement. So much so I'm posting a pic of my first beer :) congrats.

image-4273019492.jpg

BrotherBock said:
I wouldn't go THAT far. Its only your first brew.

I'm currently on beer two, and have had 0 bubbles. Large krausen still on it after 11 days. Buckets apparently don't seal that well.

No1ukno said:
Congrats looks tasty. What part of ohio are you in. Dayton here.

Living in cleveland currently, from warren originally. Luckily got a decent amount of craft breweries up here and they just opened a home brew shop around the corner from me.

Congrats... Looks great!
Just bottled my first beer last night. Arrogant Bastard clone.
Glass is cool... Besides the bud logo. Hahahahaha

That's a hell of a way to start! (note the quote at the end of my signature)

have had 0 bubbles. Large krausen still on it after 11 days. Buckets apparently don't seal that well.

My bucket seals great. Just saying.....don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Airlocks can tell you things if you listen. But they are far from the be all end all of fermentation indicators. Most of the fermentation happens within the first week or few days.

My airlock activity dies pretty quick after a couple days, depending on the gravity. I have a Golden Strong (OG. 1.071) that sat for 2 weeks. Bubbled FOREVER. I added my last sugar addition of a half pound (putting OG at 1.077) and its been bubbling for 4 days now. The new krausen just started falling back in. Gonna sit for a while yet.

Also, I notice a huge difference in activity between the s-shaped airlocks and the cylinder ones. The cylinders are super quiet and the bubbling can be almost unnoticeable, especially after a couple days. Whereas with my s-shaped locks, the activity is way more detectable.

Anyway, congrats on the brew. This forum is great for gathering info. I've learned a lot just scouring the forums.

Latest posts

Back