Stupid friends and this stupid project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
I got 4hrs of sleep last night and I'm still up, working on custom pint glasses for my friends. You can see the project in my "DIY pint glasses" thread. Originally I was going to make 5. Then word got out and I'm making 10. The good news is, tomorrow is beer tasting day, when I get to try my first beer. In the meantime - and here's the real point of this post - I'm drinking PBR. I'm sure drinking any kind of commercial brew is typically frowned upon within this community, but I think PBR has always gotten a bad rap. It's not bad. I enjoy it. I just feel like people that have never even had it before consider it either rot gut beer or hipster d-bag beer. I'm no hipster.

There are a lot more supporters of BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) on this forum than you'd expect. For the style, they produce an impressive beer for cheap. Even assuming I could brew a beer as clean as them (which I can't), I'd never be able to keg it as cheaply as I can buy cans of it.

Guess what I'm saying is, a cold PBR draft is great on a hot summer day.

I still will drink a PBR from time to time, more for nostalgia from college. I grew up and started college in Richmond Va. PBR is known there as Peoples Beer of Richmond. Needless to say it is popular.

I had some friends that used to put on a Bad Beer Bash every year. Take 4 large garbage cans (55g or larger), fill with ice water, and then everyone brings either a 6 pack or 12 pack of the worst beer they can think of. You're just supposed to blindly grab beer out of the trash cans so you don't know what you're going to get, but I usually grabbed PBR, because I knew I didn't mind drinking it if I couldn't find something else tolerable.

God we drank some baaaad beer those days. And a LOT of it too...

Ha ha, that's awesome. I can only imagine the amounts of terrible beers consumed.

Under the right circumstances any beer tastes pretty good. A few weeks back I was sitting at a Pirates game at PNC park holding a hot dog and a Budweiser tallboy. Tasted fantastic. The Pirates even won.

Lately when I have bud light, I taste banana and it starts to give me a headache. I tell myself it's mind-over-matter, but that doesn't always help...

I totally agree with b-boy. I'll take a ice-cold Bud on a hot summer day, when the sun is lined up just so, and the beer's free and... well, like b-boy said - under the right circumstances.

Kind of off topic but I think it's funny how people will defend their crappy beer of choice but not touch another crappy beer with a ten foot poll. (Just for the record, I'm with you on PRB)

Alcoholic #1 "I think PBR is pretty good!"
Alcoholic #2 "No way man, Miller High Life is where it's at!"
Alcoholic #1 "High Life?!? Screw that, that stuff is gross. But PBR...Mmmmm..."
Alcoholic #2 "I wouldn't be caught dead with that stuff in my hand!"
Alcoholic #3 "Your both wrong. PBR and High Life are both equally vomit inducing and I will never touch another can; Natty Ice however is the bees knees!"

Kind of off topic but I think it's funny how people will defend their crappy beer of choice but not touch another crappy beer with a ten foot poll. (Just for the record, I'm with you on PRB)

Alcoholic #1 "I think PBR is pretty good!"
Alcoholic #2 "No way man, Miller High Life is where it's at!"
Alcoholic #1 "High Life?!? Screw that, that stuff is gross. But PBR...Mmmmm..."
Alcoholic #2 "I wouldn't be caught dead with that stuff in my hand!"
Alcoholic #3 "Your both wrong. PBR and High Life are both equally vomit inducing and I will never touch another can; Natty Ice however is the bees knees!"

I'm sorta that way. I used to drink Busch Light and Natural Light but most other beers I didn't like. Then I found Milwaukees Best Light. That was almost as good as the other two, but much cheaper. I'd buy cases for $10 at times.

Ha ha this is all so true. "Dammit, high life is the best!" "You're crazy, it's Coors or nuthin'!"

And man, I've bought the beast plenty of times when I've got a bunch of my friends coming over that like to drink for quantity, not quality. Ahhhh, good times.

I was drinking PBR while brewing a black IPA this past weekend! It was hot out and the PBR was ice old and refreshing... But I have to admit that it felt a little wrong.

Back