Question on Kits, curiousity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl4536

Reaction score
So I am new to this hobby with one successful kit completed and consumed :rockin:. My question(s) is/are on the apparent discrepancies in some of the kits readily available on the internet. Example Brewers Best kits seem to conform to the,.... all kits are ready in 4-6 weeks (Belgian Tripels, Russian Imperial Stouts etc...). However, the same kits from say, Austin (Belgian Tripels, Russian Imperial Stouts) are suggesting 9-12 months!!! Can someone please advise why the wildly extreme difference in timelines? What could possibly happen in 12 months that doesn't occur in 4-6 weeks. And finally, is the final product difference that noticeable and worth this wait? Sorry for the NOOB question but in order to experience the answer myself i would have to wait at least 12 months and i don't have the patience :D.

Generally high gravity, high abv, malt prominent beers improve with time. You can drink them in 6ish weeks..but twice that time will make for a all around better experience

Some beers just take longer. As a very general rile of thumb the higher the gravity the longer a beer needs.

Sure, you can be drinking a high gravity beer 6 weeks after brew day, but in some cases the beer needs time to age, and will be way better a few months, even a year down the road.

Kits are marketed differently by different vendors I suppose. The key is defining what YOU mean by "ready" and listening to what the BEER means by ready, regardless of when the sales pitch says it'll be ready.

Yeast works on its OWN schedule. That is also an important lesson in brewing.

Cheers!

I agree....I have a sour beer that's drinkable now...but will be amazing around Christmas

Back