Kim Chee/ Kimchi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lschiavo said:
I never had any "real" stuff so I am probably way off but what the heck, I like it. I don't think I will ever add oysters either or the squid that this recipe calls for. I did have Korean pepper flakes though.

You know I had you guys in mind when I doubled it this time. The cabbage tasted nice and sweet to me so that should not be an issue. I think they thought I was nuts with the cart load of produce I checked out.

Sounds reasonable to me. Take a spin on over. I have a decent lager on tap that will go nicely too.

I can be there Wednesday if I leave now, all I need now is an excuse to get me out of work for the week

So driving 2000 miles for some kimchi and a beer is not a good excuse to get out of work anymore? I'm glad I work for myself. I don't think I could live with those kinds of restrictions;)

It's a straight shot on 2 from Watersmeet to CF BTW.

lschiavo said:
So driving 2000 miles for some kimchi and a beer is not a good excuse to get out of work anymore? I'm glad I work for myself. I don't think I could live with those kinds of restrictions;)

It's a straight shot on 2 from Watersmeet to CF BTW.

My wife, son and myself are relocating back to IL, rest assured, there will be get togethers at the family cabin in Eagle River. You and Yoop are naturally invited.

SWMBO is half Korean so I'll definitely need to try this.

Also, when the kimchi goes 'sour', you can make kimchi jjigae (kim-chi jeeg-A)

You can pretty much add whatever you want but I add a can or two of cubed spam and it's great. Cooking gets rid of the sourness.

My wife, son and myself are relocating back to IL, rest assured, there will be get togethers at the family cabin in Eagle River. You and Yoop are naturally invited.

Nice! I'm looking forward to meeting up someday.

SWMBO is half Korean so I'll definitely need to try this.

Also, when the kimchi goes 'sour', you can make kimchi jjigae (kim-chi jeeg-A)

You can pretty much add whatever you want but I add a can or two of cubed spam and it's great. Cooking gets rid of the sourness.

That looks really good! I will have to do a little more cooking with this batch. It seems like pork/kimchi would be a great combo.

Nice to see that you guys are still actively doing this. I haven't made any for months now since school has kicked into high gear. I keep looking at the napa cabbage at the grocery store when I'm shopping however it seems to have gotten expensive. I have a half jar from the local korean mart to keep me fulfilled though. And yeah the jigea is great, I linked to some great recipes a few posts back.

Nice to see that you guys are still actively doing this. I haven't made any for months now since school has kicked into high gear. I keep looking at the napa cabbage at the grocery store when I'm shopping however it seems to have gotten expensive. I have a half jar from the local korean mart to keep me fulfilled though. And yeah the jigea is great, I linked to some great recipes a few posts back.

Yes you did. The ones I never got around to trying yet:mad:

Both you and Yoop are on my short list of reprobates I need to meet up with, do you fly-fishing? I love kimchi with fresh fish, and what better than some panfish caught in the shallows?

Ok maybe crappie or walleye....

Both you and Yoop are on my short list of reprobates I need to meet up with, do you fly-fishing? I love kimchi with fresh fish, and what better than some panfish caught in the shallows?

Ok maybe crappie or walleye....

If you're looking for trouble, you could do better than me and Yoop. We do have fun in a lame, old people (she's older than me [jab]) sort of way though.

Never fly fishing. A few years back, I was king of spin cast brook trout fishing...It actually may be a decade ago by now. I never really did much other fishing. Yooper's Bob is THE fisherman! He could feed a small community of homebrewers with his catches of panfish and he often does. I'm working on moving my family out to our river property where huge muskies are prowling. I've never fished for them but I have a feeling I will.

Just to stay on topic: Kimchi is really good and I am going to sample some right now.

I love fly fishing, but mostly for panfish and bass and that sort. I'm no good in a river.

I'm kind of scared of Kimchi though. Sounds nasty. Hopefully there will be some at the get together to try. I hope I don't like it. It sounds like something my wife would hate for me to start making!

When I was VERY little I went Muskie fishing with my dad and grandpa. We put a fair sized bluegill on a huge treble hook and bobber and tossed it in the lake and sat back and waited. Caught nothing that day, but I was at grandpa's house one time when he came home with one. I've always wanted to try catching one.

Homercidal said:
I love fly fishing, but mostly for panfish and bass and that sort. I'm no good in a river.

I'm kind of scared of Kimchi though. Sounds nasty. Hopefully there will be some at the get together to try. I hope I don't like it. It sounds like something my wife would hate for me to start making!

When I was VERY little I went Muskie fishing with my dad and grandpa. We put a fair sized bluegill on a huge treble hook and bobber and tossed it in the lake and sat back and waited. Caught nothing that day, but I was at grandpa's house one time when he came home with one. I've always wanted to try catching one.

The recipe I use is basically spicy sauerkraut with a bit of fish sauce and other veggies. There is nothing weird in it to be afraid of. I will try to get some to Yooper so you can try it. I just sampled some and it is starting to sour a bit already. I think it's a good batch!

Someday we'll get together at my place for some fishin'.

The recipe I use is basically spicy sauerkraut with a bit of fish sauce and other veggies. There is nothing weird in it to be afraid of. I will try to get some to Yooper so you can try it. I just sampled some and it is starting to sour a bit already. I think it's a good batch!

It's a date!

If you're looking for trouble, you could do better than me and Yoop. We do have fun in a lame, old people (she's older than me [jab]) sort of way though.

I will try to get some to Yooper so you can try it. I just sampled some and it is starting to sour a bit already. I think it's a good batch!

Well, I'm older than him and he's much better looking. I can easily beat him in a race uphill, though, since he won't put down his beer and cigarettes. :D

If lschiavo comes out for dinner on Friday, we can make the cost of admission a sample of kimchee so I can give some to Homer on Saturday. But someone has to remind me as older people have memory issues. Plus, I drink. :drunk:

I'm looking forward to trying this batch! The closest I came recently was spicy pickled sausage and spicy pickled eggs.

Well, I'm older than him and he's much better looking. I can easily beat him in a race uphill, though, since he won't put down his beer and cigarettes. :D

If lschiavo comes out for dinner on Friday, we can make the cost of admission a sample of kimchee so I can give some to Homer on Saturday. But someone has to remind me as older people have memory issues. Plus, I drink. :drunk:

I'm looking forward to trying this batch! The closest I came recently was spicy pickled sausage and spicy pickled eggs.

I don't think many would agree about the better looking part. Not everyone is as attracted to beer bellies as you are:D If my smokes and beer were at the top of the hill, you wouldn't have a chance...why else would I go up that hill anyway?

I will get some kimchi to the party even if I can't make it and I'm looking forward to the sausage and eggs.

I don't think many would agree about the better looking part. Not everyone is as attracted to beer bellies as you are:D If my smokes and beer were at the top of the hill, you wouldn't have a chance...why else would I go up that hill anyway?

I will get some kimchi to the party even if I can't make it and I'm looking forward to the sausage and eggs.

You had a sample of the sausage already- hopefully it's getting better with some time. But since I didn't let you have an egg (just a sample of the brine), I will gladly let you have an egg in exchange for that kimchee!

And then we can give an honest critique publicly on the forum. :D

I'm making kimchi this weekend. I want to sour it a bit.

What temps do you all use? I.e., should I sour it at room temp for a couple of days then refrigerate? Or do you ferment at temps lower than room temp?

I used room temperature, but I think lschiavo uses his fermentation fridge- 65 degrees?

Yooper said:
I used room temperature, but I think lschiavo uses his fermentation fridge- 65 degrees?

I started this one at 65 just to get a quick start. I have it at 60 now and will probably bring it down to fridge temps when it is done.

How long at 65? When did the fermentation start (natural, right?).

Does it continue to ferment at 60?

I just dialed it back yesterday so about a week at 65 and it is getting some good flavor. I noticed some bubbles the second day and yes natural. I have been stirring it about every other day. From what I have read, fridge temps will slow or halt the ferment so I'm not sure how low it will go. Traditionally, it's fermented underground so I would think temps in the 50's would be ideal. I think it would be hard to screw up. If it grows mold on the top, scrape it off and the stuff underneath is probably better for it...Good luck and post pics:mug:

I just dialed it back yesterday so about a week at 65 and it is getting some good flavor. I noticed some bubbles the second day. I have been stirring it about every other day. From what I have read, fridge temps will slow or halt the ferment so I'm not sure how low it will go. Traditionally, it's fermented underground so I would think temps in the 50's would be ideal. I think it would be hard to screw up. If it grows mold on the top, scrape it off and the stuff underneath is probably better for it...Good luck and post pics:mug:

Oooh, a kimchi pellicle. That would be something.

I'll post pics here.

Well, here goes nothing. I sure would like to know why mine is brown. The fish sauce I used was brown, so I guess that's why?

IMG_5644.JPG

passedpawn said:
Well, here goes nothing. I sure would like to know why mine is brown. The fish sauce I used was brown, so I guess that's why?

That looks like a bunch of stuff chopped up in a jar. That would probably work, but a Korean former neighbor told me the leaves of the cabbage are seperated, left whole, and "painted" with a specific recipe, which would normally be different from one family to another. The cabbage is then stacked and jarred, and left to do its thing.

I personally don't go for it, but my wife could live on it. My MIL has made kimchi, and my wife loves it. When I see her, i'll ask her how she makes it.

That looks like a bunch of stuff chopped up in a jar. That would probably work, but a Korean former neighbor told me the leaves of the cabbage are seperated, left whole, and "painted" with a specific recipe, which would normally be different from one family to another. The cabbage is then stacked and jarred, and left to do its thing.

I personally don't go for it, but my wife could live on it. My MIL has made kimchi, and my wife loves it. When I see her, i'll ask her how she makes it.

I went with this recipe. She (the recipe lady) says the pre-chopped comes out just as good as the way you described, which she also details on here site here.

I didn't intend to chop too fine, but maybe I did. I tried to chop the cabbage into ~ 2" squares. It's quite possible that I mucked the whole thing up, but I tasted it once it was all mixed up and it sure tasted like the real thing.

Having an Asian wife puts me in a lot of Asian restaurants. I've seen it chopped, and i've seen it whole. I've seen it heavily marinaded, and also lightly marinaded. The beauty of doing it yourself is finding the way you like it and doing it that way.

passedpawn said:

Looks great to me. What kind of pepper flakes did you use? The color in mine is definitely all from the pepper flakes.

Looks great to me. What kind of pepper flakes did you use? The color in mine is definitely all from the pepper flakes.

Ahhh! Ok, that is the problem. I forgot them when I was at the asian market. I just substituted red chili flakes that I already had (think pizza), and they did not lend any color.

I'm such a dummy.

Thanks for helping me out there. I'm positive that explains the color.

lschiavo brought a bucket of this over on Friday night. We didn't all sample then, but over the weekend I think many of my houseguests did.

I loved it! I thought it was a great combination of heat/flavor. Some of the others will have to chime in to give their thoughts. I forgot to serve it with the fish fry yesterday and I think that would have been excellent.

Whipped this up with some garden fresh cabbage and a handfull of pepper flakes, 1/2 a handfull of garlic, 1/2 a handfull of sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil. their were two more bottles but you know....

PEPPERS038.jpg

Whipped this up with some garden fresh cabbage and a handfull of pepper flakes, 1/2 a handfull of garlic, 1/2 a handfull of sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil. their were two more bottles but you know....

PEPPERS038.jpg

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who puts gerber formula in my kimchi!

I had a good taste this weekend at Yoopers and I have to say that while I can eat it, I doubt I'll be making any myself. I thought it was a little warm, but not too warm to eat. I just couldn't get into the flavor. I am averse to most of the sour flavors (but not sauerkraut with sausage, for some reason...)

I'm open to trying other batches though. now that I know what to expect I can pair it with something that might work for me.

Ahhh! Ok, that is the problem. I forgot them when I was at the asian market. I just substituted red chili flakes that I already had (think pizza), and they did not lend any color.

I'm such a dummy.

Thanks for helping me out there. I'm positive that explains the color.

No problem. If you find you have enough heat, you can get a milder version of the flakes/ powder that will give you the color without adding more fire. I think the Korean peppers have a unique flavor that I like. I'm sure it's not too late to add some if you are so inclined.

lschiavo brought a bucket of this over on Friday night. We didn't all sample then, but over the weekend I think many of my houseguests did.

I loved it! I thought it was a great combination of heat/flavor. Some of the others will have to chime in to give their thoughts. I forgot to serve it with the fish fry yesterday and I think that would have been excellent.

Glad you liked it. Bob seemed to as well. Bummer. It would have gone nicely with the fish I think. None with breakfast? That what I would have done. It goes nicely with eggs.

PEPPERS038.jpg

Looks nice! Did you grow the cabbage? Sesame seeds?...sounds good.

I had a good taste this weekend at Yoopers and I have to say that while I can eat it, I doubt I'll be making any myself. I thought it was a little warm, but not too warm to eat. I just couldn't get into the flavor. I am averse to most of the sour flavors (but not sauerkraut with sausage, for some reason...)

I'm open to trying other batches though. now that I know what to expect I can pair it with something that might work for me.

It wasn't really sour yet. The flavors had blended pretty well though. I'm still keeping the main batch at 60. I keep a few cups in a small container on the kitchen counter to ferment. There is a huge change in flavor after a day or two at room temps...that's how I like it best.

I'm just happy you didn't puke:D

You guys sound like you're on the right track. Have you watched Maangchi's videos? http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/nappa-cabbage-kimchi

That's how I learned. A few trips to a Korean restaurant to compare your kimchi with theirs and you should have it!

Off the cuff, most of the photos on this thread seem a bit too watery. Before you mix the napa with anything, it should be cut into fourths and salted for 4 hours. Then wash off the salt and wring out as much water as you can like you're wringing a towel. Only then do you mix it with the other veggies and pepper paste.

A note about choice of pepper: any dried red pepper would do, but why not just track down gochugaru? If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a Korean market, one bag should cost you $4-5.

Sugar and starch: I don't add any sugar to my kimchi, but I use mochiko, which is 100% amylopectin. Any glutinous rice flour, of course, is alright. Second best would be plain old rice flour, and third best would be white wheat flour.

If the fish sauce available to you at your local asian market tastes nasty, just get some dried anchovies, boil them in some water, and add a bit of salt. You just made fish sauce! Kimchi shouldn't reek. If your wife doesn't allow you to open the kimchi container when she's in the room, you're doing it wrong! Kimchi should be crisp and refreshing, not dank, and not overpowering.

Likewise, if you go to a Korean restaurant, the kimchi you're served as a side dish will have just a twang of sourness to it, probably 1 week old maximum. Older kimchi gets very sour, and is for making stews and pancakes (jjigae and jeon.)

After I paint the salted, washed, and wrung-out napa with my rice flour/gochugaru/fish sauce/veggies paste, I leave the napa quarters at room temp for 24 hours. You can see bubbles at this time point. Then I store in the fridge indefinitely. It's got a nice sour twang at 48-72 hours after preparation. It will not be overpowering even months after you make it, but it will get a bit too sour for most tastes, even at the cool temps of your fridge.

I will post photos of mine the next time I make it. If in doubt, just go to a Korean restaurant to do some research. Kimchi will come as a side dish before your main meal comes, and it will be served no matter what you order!

Back