I am so happy with my second brew but still have a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedroims

Reaction score
Yesterday I opened a beer from my second batch, a dunkelweissen that was 20 days in fermentor and have been only 7 days on bottles, I put it on fridge for 24 hours before opened it, I was expecting a flat beer but I wanted to try it on different phases, to my surprise the beer was perfect :ban: I could not believe what great beer I brewed but now I am concerning if the beer will still gaining more CO2 over the next weeks and make it over carbonated, if this true how I can stop it now? also is it normal for a dunkelweissen to be ready after only one week?

How much priming sugar did you use? Was the beer completely fermented when you bottled? If the beer was completely done and you use the appropriate amount of priming sugar then you should be fine. Wheats are meant to be consumed young so if they are carb'ed I would start to chill and drink.

Also, i'm not sure what you could do to stop the yeast at this point other than to put them in the fridge so the yeast will go dormant.

I don't think you can stop it from over-carbonating. However, dunkelweizens should have a moderate to high carbonation anyway .

Also, wheat beers don't age as well as other types of beers, so they're usually better young anyway. So I say drink up before the bubbles take over. And if it gets too carbonated for you, you can send 'em this way. :mug:

I used 5 oz of sugar for priming and since there is nothing I can do but drinking it then I will start today :)

thanks for the website, actually my first batch is overcarbonated and I used 5 oz as well since this is what the kit came with but as you said seems to be too much.

I had that same issue as well. Make sure you are topping off your bucket to five gallons or slightly over when you are done brewing. M t first few batches I looked at the foam level and not the actual liquid level.

I had that same issue as well. Make sure you are topping off your bucket to five gallons or slightly over when you are done brewing. M t first few batches I looked at the foam level and not the actual liquid level.

In my opinion I would not top off with water after the beer has fermented. I would try to get the most accurate measurement with the total volume of fermented beer and go from there.

Back