Interview for Dream Job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultima

Reaction score
There is a chance greater than zero that I will receive a request for an interview for an actual brewing position. I'd be kind of nervous for any interview, but considering brewing is my absolute passion, I'm a little more nervous than normal.

Here's the thing...I've only brewed 25 gallons, ever, including what I have in primary right now. There is wisdom on this forum beyond what I could ever hope to acquire, but I have a very strong background in a laboratory environment and my thirst for brewing knowledge might actually be greater than my thirst for ale.

It's not like the job I applied for is responsible for formulating 10,000bbl recipes, and I figure it's going to be a lot of heavy, sweaty work, that may not even fully capitalize on my brewing knowledge (yet), but I'm still rather nervous.

What might I be expected to know? How deep of a technical knowledge should I be expected to exhibit for a mostly-introductory position? Interview advice for a field that I have relevant, but no formal experience in, yet an extreme interest and passion? Any input or advice would be wonderful, and I thank you all sincerely for throwing me a bone here.

:off: I ALSO have my first date in over 4 years (long relationship inbetween...) on Sunday, and it's really more of a "first-date" type of format than I've ever encountered before, and that's a little more bewildering to me than the prospect of interviewing with a brewery! New and exciting things are happening for me, and I'm just trying to get a handle on all of it without getting overwhelmed, so I figured I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge here for any guidance on any topic it may lend me! Thank you again :mug:

What type of position are you going for? They will require a lot more experience if your looking to become a Brewer. I say start studying the science aspect and read as many books that you get your hands on. Good luck. Ive already brewed 60 gallons (all all grain) just this year. I know very little about this hobby and learn more and more every day. If you have time to listen to podcasts i suggest listening to the BN. They are free podcasts and are FULL of information. Some guys on here have 10-15 years of brewing experience and dont feel like they have enough knowledge to be a brewer.

For the date thing.
Dont expect anything more than a first date. Think of it as you two are just hanging out and getting to know each other. Your first issue and second one are similar. A first date is basically an interview. When you get out of a long relationship and go into the dating world again you may feel a little "rusty" if you will. If you two hit if off, great! If not, remember your just getting back into it and there will be plenty of opportunities to meet more people.

same advice for both... don't show up drunk, don't get drunk there, and don't expect anything to come of it. Relax and see where it takes you.. if its right it's right and will work out.

Then when you get home RDWHAHB

I suggest getting laid before the interview. It always helps with the nerves and confidence.

Learning is free, so I have been devouring beer knowledge left and right. Ingredients aren't free, nor is equipment, so I'm really more limited by what I have than what I know. I have a scientific degree and I eat up science like nobody's business, and when it's about brewing it's even easier because I love beer. I just don't think I could be happy working in a lab or something my whole life, so here I am "following my dreams".

The job posting said that one year of brewing industry experience was preferred, but not required. This isn't about being brewmaster or opening my own brewery, because I know I'm a little on the green end of things for a position like that, but I'm positive I can shovel around grains and add hops to massive whirlpools and the like, all while continuing to learn and advance. The title of the position is Brewer I. I don't have a year of industry experience, but I do know a good amount about ingredients, brewing, fermenting, and finishing. Enough to know why I'd be doing the things I'd be doing, should I get this job. I'm pretty confident in my abilities to perform the duties of the job really, I just hope that HR won't look at me like another schmuck who homebrews. Hopefully my cover letter was successful on that front.

As far as the lady situation goes, I've decided that we're going to go somewhere chill and play Scrabble. She fancies herself a linguist, and I'm a rather cunning linguist myself...

I thank you all for the practical and amusing advice, and I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

This thread is an odd mix of discouragement and encouragement. Now I'm not sure who to believe other than myself! I really do appreciate all input though, regardless of what side of the fence it falls on.

I'm going to go pour some saison, to remind myself how AWESOME of a brewer I am. :mug:

"cunning linguist"

On the first date? I thought you were supposed to wait until the 3rd date to try that?

for the date: don't let them know that you're a degenerate loser that spends all your free time on homebrewing sites.

for the brewery position: go ahead and tell them.

and good luck with both.

Thats really awesome. Goodluck! Don't worry so much, about the interview or the date. This is not your last chance at a brewing position or getting laid; so just be yourself and if its right it will happen!

AHHH yes. Just about to hop in the shower for the date. I'm really not worried about a damn thing. We're gonna play scrabble and she may not know what hit her! If I'm back here way too soon, then things didn't go well. Here's to seeing you all LATER!

I may have mentioned earlier in the thread that I though the date went well...but two or three hours later, she texted me something along the lines of "we don't have anything in common...refrain from contacting me in the future, and best of luck in the future blah blah blah". The way she phrased it was so harsh though, especially considering how well I though it all went. Couldn't decide if her head was stuck in her ass or the clouds... It was minorly discouraging, but she had no appreciation of fine ales, so it was for the best! (B**ches ain't s**t but hos and tricks!).

Regarding the brewery, I grew to hate my cover letter immensely after sending it in, but I've been refining the hell out of it and it's about to get sent off to bigger and better breweries. Well, I don't know about bigger, but certainly better! My best news of late is the Licorice Porter I brewed earlier today (..yesterday?). I forgot how much of a b**ch the cleanup from a good brewday is though!

Cheers to all of the encouragement I derived from this thread, and I know what's right for me is waiting out there! :mug:

"Refrain from contacting me in the future..."?! Hmmm... Two possibilities:

1. She's mental. Good riddance and nice to find out this early, before finding a beloved pet in the stewpot.

2. Someone hijacked her phone to get you away from her for his/her own designs.

Oh, well.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back