May become an electric convert.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a nice gas system right now, that I just purchased. I love it, but I think I am starting to like electric brewing better. I have not done it yet. But, it just seems better. So maybe next winter I will sell my system and try to build an electric system out of sinks. I figured after college, I will most likely be living in a small apartment with no garage or yard. Though the 3 sinks may be big for an apartment.

If I could, I would go electric in a heartbeat.

But I (with my very limited understanding of wiring) don't believe my little apartment can handle it, and the last thing I would do is spend the green on building an electric system only to plug it in, blow a fuse, and realize that my apartment can't do it.

I have a nice gas system right now, that I just purchased. I love it, but I think I am starting to like electric brewing better. I have not done it yet. But, it just seems better. So maybe next winter I will sell my system and try to build an electric system out of sinks. I figured after college, I will most likely be living in a small apartment with no garage or yard. Though the 3 sinks may be big for an apartment.

Cruse the restaurant supply houses for used.
Check you local papers for auctions of restaurants

Sinks lack the aesthetic panache of some other set ups but, unless you plan to keep it in the living area make it a show piece there is not one reason not to use 'em. Their shape makes them the easiest to clean.

I think I am the only one here that has no desire to go electric. And I could do it with my eyes closed- I am an electrician. I just figure that it just more **** to clean on brew day. I may be right, I may be wrong, but my brew tree works just fine.

I think I am the only one here that has no desire to go electric. And I could do it with my eyes closed- I am an electrician. I just figure that it just more **** to clean on brew day. I may be right, I may be wrong, but my brew tree works just fine.

Well if you want to take your brewing indoors and you can't put it under a vent hood ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And there is the real draw of an electric system

Where I want to put my brewery in in my weight room.
I will have to run both power and water to it, but waste water won't be an issue. I've a rose garden right out side. The plants will love me.

Don't you still need to vent all the steam if brewing with electric indoors?

I like electric, I like gas, but I like being indoors best. That is ultimately why I built an indoor electric system. Especially when it is freezing outside. I can brew all year round with no weather issues.

There is nothing extra to clean FWIW.

I use my cooling water as my cleaning water, pump 10 gallons to the BK, heat it from 55F to 150F in about 16 minutes, add a scoop of Oxi and start the pumps and recirculate for an hour, 2 hours... doesn't matter, it costs pennies to run. Whenever I get back to it, stop and drain.

Amen to that Bernie! When it snows, the first thing I shovel is a path to my grill. That, and I can't fire up a nice stogie when brewing, if I were to do it in the kitchen or basement.

You can brew with electric outdoors too ;)

Are you watching the Brewmation thread? I am interested in that, that is a VERY affordable electric system with full automation capability.

Sinks are great, bottom drains, easy to clean...

I haven't seen the brewmation thread, thought I have been to their website. That is what I would like to to do. Or like yours.

I haven't seen the brewmation thread, thought I have been to their website. That is what I would like to to do. Or like yours.

Brewmation has more automation than mine, and it costs less... Mine would sell for the same amount as the fully auto Brewmation, and mine is not fully auto.

Mine looks better in my family room though!:D

Don't you still need to vent all the steam if brewing with electric indoors?

No. It's just humidity. The AC will take it out in the summer and in winter the air needs the humidity.

I'm in a huge assed old house. The original foundation is 250 years old the new addition is 150 years old.

No. It's just humidity. The AC will take it out in the summer and in winter the air needs the humidity.
It's at least a gallon of humidity - seems excessive to me...

I'm in a huge assed old house. The original foundation is 250 years old the new addition is 150 years old.
A house that old probably isn't as air tight as a construction one.

Why the need for a thread like this?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/electric-indoor-brewers-what-size-cfm-bathroom-fan-pics-120521/

It's at least a gallon of humidity - seems excessive to me...

wait for it ~ ~ ~ ~ wait for it ~ ~ ~

A house that old probably isn't as air tight as a construction one.

Bingo~!!

A 250 year old house is more holy than the Catholic pontiff

My walls are made from oak beams, draw bored together.
In the original part my first floor joists, seen from the cellar, are round Oak logs with axe hewn squared ends only at the joints. In the the new addition the massive oak beams are hand squared with broad axes and then refined with Adzes. The upper floors of the building are made from water sawn spruce framing. It's an old building.

The outer walls all around the building have no sheathing. The clapboards were nailed right onto the frame and mortar and rubble was poured in the void for insulation. Makes for a hell of an interesting time when trying to find routes for plumbing, electrical and HVAC.

Suffice it to say that humidity in the air inside my house won't stay in the house very long.

However, to your original point about a gallon or three being a lot of water to inject into a house's atmosphere in so short a period.
That' a very complex matter because of all the variables.

How much water is in the air anyway:
If you precipitated all the water from all the world's atmosphere all at once you'd have maybe 2 inches of water on the ground every where (in a magical universe where the water just sat on the ground). That's a lot of water.

But the water is not evenly distributed in the atmosphere. High altitude air has much less water than sea level air. So most the water is pretty close to the ground. Even then, some areas are more humid than others. And of course water seeks a normative state so it migrates from wet areas to dry ones Much like salt in solution will seek to become evenly distributed in a given liquid volume. But unlike the salinity in a beaker, water in the atmosphere has all sorts of forces operating on it to concentrate it more in some areas than others.

And of course there's the fact that in winter, my house hold air could use a gallon or two of water because it's so dry. In the summer the AC will pull the water out of the air and condense it and dump it.

So all in all a few gallons of water liberated in any hour long boil won't make a meaningful difference in my house, or any house.

But that's not the whole story. Take that 2" of water that you'd get if you extracted all the water from the air at once.

Now think about spilling a few gallons of water across all the first floor of an average home.
That's not a lot of water in any one place. It'd be spread thin to cover all the first floor space with an even coat. Not thin at the molecular level, but so thin that you'd be hard pressed to be able to sop much up with a napkin.
It would not come close to that 2" mark, that's for sure. Hell I'd say it wouldn't even make an appreciable difference.

So all in all a few gallons of water is not a big deal, I don't think.

FWIW, I live in a new home and we pump 6 gallons of water each day into our house in the winter to replace what the furnace burns up.

FWIW

If The Pol does it it must be ok :)
All kidding aside, I guess I won't worry too much about it. At least that's less money I'll need for my build, if I ever get it started.

I designed the Simple brewery and 2P-Twent-E to be usable anywhere and store small. I think it is the ideal apartment brewery, or at least that is the purpose of the design. I am really happy with it after our first brew day last week.

Links in my sig lead to the respective builds.

I love the electric so far.

I get some condensation built up on the walls if I dont open a window and sliding glass door. I wouldn't mind brewing outside if it wasn't for the florida heat and mosquitoes. When the temperature is nice, the bugs are out, and even then it is too hot in the summer. Brewing in the garage is like a personal sauna and the bugs will still find you.

Plus it is only 2 bucks and change in electricity per batch. Maybe if I was a little further north the outside would be a little more appealing.

I have never brewed indoors, not even in a garage.

I used to use gas. Once I went out there and the burner had blown out and the area smelled like gas. Enough of that.

I'm electric now and I can't imaging going back to a flame. Too many advantages to list here.

ELECTRIC????? I don't get it. Out west it cost more and is less efficient. Gas is cheep and with 170,000 BTU gas burners you can't beat it. I have never heard of inexpensive electric burners that will put out that much. Electric? No way!!

ELECTRIC????? I don't get it. Out west it cost more and is less efficient. Gas is cheep and with 170,000 BTU gas burners you can't beat it. I have never heard of inexpensive electric burners that will put out that much. Electric? No way!!

Not true at all.

Gas burners are about 25% eff at getting BTUs to the kettle. Electricity is basically 100% efficient. A 170,000 BTU burner will produce the heating power of 43,000 BTUs, that is the extent of it. If a 170,000 BTU burner provided 170,000 BTUs of heat to your kettle, youd get 13 gallons from 60F to a boil in 6 minutes flat, and it doesnt.

Electricity in California is not that expensive. In Antioch you pay $.14 per kWh, here in Indiana I pay $.10 per kWh. That is quite average across this great land.

A 20lb tank of propane contains about 17 pounds of propane, or 374,000 BTUs. If you are going to net 25% of that, you are getting about 95,000 BTUs from that tank at a cost of about $16.

1kW is 3412 BTUs... so you need about 28,000W or 28 kW to equal the same 95,000 BTUs in a 20lb tank of propane. In Indiana that would cost me $2.80, in California that would cost you $3.92. If you pay $.57 per kWh, then it would be equal to the cost of propane anyhow.

Speed of heating. This is tied to BTU output, and since electricity is so much more eff. at getting the BTUs into the kettle to do work, you need a lot fewer total BTUs to get the same outcome.

A 9000W kettle like I have will heat 13 gallons from 60F to boiling in 34 minutes. That is 30,708 BTUs, the equivelant of a 123,000 BTU burner, at 1/5 the cost to operate.

Bottom line, electricity is fast, cheap and clean.

Back