Foaming problems in initial pour....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question kids, when I pull a pint, the first few seconds is very frothy. Then after a couple of seconds it settles down and pours great. If I wait several minutes between glasses, the next one will do the same thing.
I noticed that I have a big gas bubble in the line at the keg...... That is what is causing the foam until I push it out. But as it sits, the bubble comes back. Obviously a friggin leak, but where. I have no beer leaking out and the beer is under pressure.
Typing this out, I suddenly realized that it must be the o-ring around the dip tube..... I will check that and see what I find.
Thanks for the help guys! :D

HA! It's C02 coming out of suspension. You don't have your temp and psi the same as the initial carbonation. Or you turn down your psi to serve? Beer lines should always be bubble free.:mug:

Yup, I agree with wildwest, co2 is coming out of solution, either because the lines are warmer than the beer coming out (from bottom of keg) or you are a bit over carbed. Did you do the old shake the keg to carb?

HA! It's C02 coming out of suspension. You don't have your temp and psi the same as the initial carbonation. Or you turn down your psi to serve? Beer lines should always be bubble free.:mug:

Temp hasn't changed, and I may have dropped my pressure 1 or 2 PSI on the keg, but I vented after.

Yup, I agree with wildwest, co2 is coming out of solution, either because the lines are warmer than the beer coming out (from bottom of keg) or you are a bit over carbed. Did you do the old shake the keg to carb?

I rarely shake to carb. I put it in the fridge, set the reg to 13 PSI, then waited a couple of weeks. It has been 5 weeks since I kegged it. This problem has just started. The gas bubble I speak of it right at the liquid out connector.....before the 15' of coiled tubing....

So if you shake to carb then this could be a problem? Ive been told that you crank up the psi for your target volume depending on the temp and voila, 24 hrs later you have carbonated beer. Then you put it back down to 10-12 psi for serving. Is this a bad technique?

Bad, maybe. You can over carb your beer this way if too much C02 goes into suspension. So Bull, what was the problem.

Bad, maybe. You can over carb your beer this way if too much C02 goes into suspension. So Bull, what was the problem.

Sorry, I can't tell you........ :D
Actually, I just added a new keg Sunday while I was brewing. I am thinking this hosed up the temps inside the fridge until it stabilized. I checked it a while ago, and there was only a very small bubble right at the liquid connector. I pulled a glass and it was a perfect pour. Weird, but I guess it was temp related......

I have this _exact_ problem and it drives me nuts. It didn't occur to me that it could be that the lines are warmer than the liquid in the kegs, but it makes sense. I've been meaning to replace the lid insulation on the keezer and apply better insulation to the collar, so maybe it's time to get serious about it.

I've also got the temperature controller probe in a jar of water... maybe I'll move it around a bit. How about insulation on the lines themselves?

Any other suggestions?

I have this _exact_ problem and it drives me nuts. It didn't occur to me that it could be that the lines are warmer than the liquid in the kegs, but it makes sense. I've been meaning to replace the lid insulation on the keezer and apply better insulation to the collar, so maybe it's time to get serious about it.

I've also got the temperature controller probe in a jar of water... maybe I'll move it around a bit. How about insulation on the lines themselves?

Any other suggestions?

Yes, get the probe out of the water and duct tape it to the side of the keg.

Any other suggestions?

Muffin fan to circulate the air inside. When I first used my Kegerator there was a noticeable temp difference from the bottom to the top. 12v fan running 24-7 and the temps are stable.

Back