Tell me how this sounds SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akchris

Reaction score
First off. Hello everyone. This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while now. This is my second attempt at making beer. My first attempt was a horrible failure. It was just plain nasty. Coopers IPA with 3# amber DME and 3# dextrose. Took questionable advice and as it turns out I didn't add enough yeast and went about it entirely wrong. Sooooooooo...... here is what I'm trying now. 7# Light DME 2oz Centennial pellets. 1 oz@60, .5 oz@30, .25oz@15 and .25oz at flame out. pitched nottingham yeast starter. Does this sound reasonable? OG 1.065. It is very loosely based on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Thanks in advance.
Chris:mug:

Sounds good, but you shouldn't make a starter with dry yeast. There is already enough yeast in a dry yeast packet to ferment normal gravity beers, and unless you are making 3 plus gallon starters, you may be doing more damage to the yeast than if you had just pitched it as is.

BTW welcome.

Welcome to HBT!

Yep, the recipe sounds good. Don't rush the process and you should end up with some tasty beer.

I spent many of hours at Big Lake as a kid and had lots of fun!

Thanks a bunch for the replies. I should have said re-hydrated nottingham, not starter...don't know what I was thinking. Anyhow it's downstairs bubbling away. Smells fantastic. BTW Big Lake is still a lot of fun!! :rockin:

Just bottled this batch today. FG of 1.016. Sample tasted good. We'll see how it comes out in few weeks.:tank:

Nice, but I wonder about the use of the term "SMaSH" when it's an extract batch. Since we don't really know what malt(s) are in the extract, I don't think you can say that it's truly a Single Malt and Single Hop.

IMHO, the proper name for your brew is "SEaSH".

Nice, but I wonder about the use of the term "SMaSH" when it's an extract batch. Since we don't really know what malt(s) are in the extract, I don't think you can say that it's truly a Single Malt and Single Hop.

IMHO, the proper name for your brew is "SEaSH".

Well, picky, picky, picky. I bet it will still be pretty good stuff..:D

OP, How was the color? I brewed a batch recently using Coopers IPA and 4# Pale LME with 1# Crystal 40L....and it came out much darker that I had hoped, almost reddish.

So I know it's too early, but I couldn't resist. 1 week in bottles...Pretty green, but most excellent. I drank 2 tonight and will be starting a new batch as soon as I come off shift on Thursday. It's going to be hard letting this one age to 3 weeks. I need to go buy some Flying Dog to fill in the space. Excellent clarity, good head, nice overall. Not the best pics, but here is a link. http://picasaweb.google.com/akwrights/HomebrewBeer# hope that works:ban::ban::ban:

Back