Homegrown hops question help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
So through a buddy of mine i got 6 lbs of hops, everything from a couple strains of cascade to some summit and magnum. My only issue is that they are vacuum sealed in about 10 ounces to 22 ounces. My question is what should i do when i want to use them? I do not have a vacuum sealer. So am i able to use some and then get as much air out of it as possible, roll it up and stick it into a zip lock? I am looking for all options that involve either things id have at home or inexpensive other options. I am keeping the hops frozen also, when i want to use them do i need to toss them in the fridge before? Or will i be able to just break them frozen and use them? Any help would be awesome!

You can put them in ziplock freezer bags, squeezing out as much air as possible, if you don't have a vacuum sealer. I would definitely use the freezer bags though, not the regular ziplocks. It might be worth it for you to invest in a food saver though...
If you're careful and pull out the hops only for a short period of time with each use, then quickly put them back in the freezer, you should be ok for a while. However, for longterm storage over several months (and that much hops WILL last several months,) I would buy a food saver.
Also, you don't have to thaw them out completely with each use. If you want, break off some smaller pieces and toss them on the scale. It may be easier if they're thawed though...

when we had family outings to pick berries,cherries,& the like,we used the freezer bags. Stick a straw in one side,zip it shut up to the straw,& suck the air out. It's a bit ghetto,but works pretty good on the cheap.
I got that one from my late mother. She did that with many things she'd bag up for the freezer. So if you have some kind of kitchen scale,you could even weight out 1oz bags of the different types. That'd make things quicker & easier.

Ya i am just worried because i know that everytime i let air get to them i am losing the essential oils. And that is my biggest fear, if i lose the oils i will have nothing!

when we had family outings to pick berries,cherries,& the like,we used the freezer bags. Stick a straw in one side,zip it shut up to the straw,& suck the air out. It's a bit ghetto,but works pretty good on the cheap.
I got that one from my late mother. She did that with many things she'd bag up for the freezer. So if you have some kind of kitchen scale,you could even weight out 1oz bags of the different types. That'd make things quicker & easier.

This is a good idea. If you have it in individual bags that are already weighed, you won't have to worry about constantly exposing the entire batch to the air every time you take some out.

I agree with the freezer bags and sucking the air out as best you can. The straw trick sounds cool. If you go with small freezer bags and do individual 1 Oz. bags, then you also wouldn't have to worry about re-opening and losing freshness.

Although, I have to say, of all the expensive brewing equipment, a vacuum sealer can be had for fairly cheap. Here's one that is only $26 and has good reviews.

It seems like a good investment if you consider that your friend may keep giving you hops as he grows them over the years, and if you decide to grow your own at some point. Plus the individual 1 oz bags like this would be great. Hell you could sell a few ounces over ebay or the forums and probably make back the money on the vacuum sealer in no time. :rockin: EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, probably not. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought he needed a quick,easy solution on the cheap. So I mentioned the straw thing my family has done for years. If it helps anybody,I've done a service to our community. I always try to think of the simplest way to git-r-done.:mug:

I meant the drier packets he linked to. It's a chemical,right? Chemicals change when they get wet or moist. Which they'd do when the bags are thawed,due to condensation.

Like Kapbrew said, they should be dried before packaging. If you're concerned about humidity in the small amount of air left in the non-vacuum sealed pkg, you could also add a dessicant packet, I think the same company sells those too. I think I'd be more concerned about the dessicant packs overdrying the hops though. You could always spend a little money & get a foodsaver, they work great; especially when combined with the oxygen absorbers.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
Like Kapbrew said, they should be dried before packaging. If you're concerned about humidity in the small amount of air left in the non-vacuum sealed pkg, you could also add a dessicant packet, I think the same company sells those too. I think I'd be more concerned about the dessicant packs overdrying the hops though. You could always spend a little money & get a foodsaver, they work great; especially when combined with the oxygen absorbers.
Regards, GF.

Foodsaver is great. And work well to seal meats when buying in bulk. As long as I seal meats wife doesn't consider this a beer hobby purchase. : )

Back