Grain Bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centexbear

Reaction score
How do you guys clean the grain bag after use?

Just throw it in the dishwasher or washing machine?

I just turn it inside out - rinse it a bunch and let it air dry. It's clean enough. The one I have going now has done 10 batches for me, and still going strong (no holes yet). Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

If you do the dishwasher, I personally wouldn't use soap - though you probably could. Should be good.

Same here... I just hose it out when I am cleaning my mash tun and all. I then hang it to dry and shake out the dust when it is dry before hanging it up.

and I am not talking about the cotton cheesecloth type that often comes with kits. Those I never had luck reusing, even as cheap as I am! :)

Thanks for the quick replies! My homebrew kit came with a nice big grain bag. I didn't use the cheap sock the grains came in in the Amber beer extract kit...I dumped them into the big/real grain bag.

I pretty much did the same as you guys, rinsed it out completely and removed every piece of grain I could see and just let her dry.

Thanks guys,
Jeff

Yea, what they said...

As a rule to simplyfy cleanup of all kind if something can be boiled I scald em in the pot when I brew, and rinse thoughly when done maybe dunk in starsan bucket and dry.

Back