First Homebrew - Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSTi

Reaction score
Hey guys(and gals). I've been taking pictures along the way of my first homebrew and decided now that they're bottled and I tried one I'd post the pics. The kit was an LME with steeping grains from True Brew. All in all it seems like a successful brew. I managed to drop my hydrometer when cleaning it so will have to order another before brewing up the AHS Imperial Winter Ale PartialMash I have here waiting. Well here are the pics from my blackberry. Digi camera is on order for xmas :)

Flickr: TimSTi's Photostream

Sorry for the lack or organization. Ill post direct links to the pics when I get home from work. My internet is limited on my phone.

Nice job but PLEASE keep the lid on while you are chilling, dust and falling debris in the air is enemy #1.

I've read that its optional as the steam that is being released while cooling contains something that you want released from the wort right? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty positive I've read that.

I've read that its optional as the steam that is being released while cooling contains something that you want released from the wort right? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty positive I've read that.

I have heard similar. I think Revvy was yelling at someone for cooling with the lid on, some weird chemical blah blah blah Revvy stuff.

God job!! I have made that same Red Ale a few times. Every time I have made it I have enjoyed it, can't wait to make another.

As far as keep the lid off during cooling, I also recall reading that it wasn't good to do that. I never have and had no efects that I can speak of.

The chemical you're talking about is DMS.

It's released by malt at temps above 140 (don't trust that #, my memory is shaky). At boiling temps it's released in the steam, so you need the lid off. After boiling the DMS is still being produced as long as the wort is hot, but if it's not boiling it's not escaping. You want to cool the wort as fast as possible to keep it from getting out of control.

Lid on or off during wort cooling shouldn't matter in this regard.

Revvy seems to be gone but i will elaborate for you.

DMS escapes during and soon after the boil. If you put the lid on you are more likely to end up with a canned corn flavor and aroma. nothing you want in a beer.

I have heard similar. I think Revvy was yelling at someone for cooling with the lid on, some weird chemical blah blah blah Revvy stuff.

Yeah, I think that someone was me. DMS (Or Dimethylsulfide) is released. I cant remember the specifics and all but I do know that you are supposed to boil with the lid off. I believe DMS give your beer the 'butterscotch' flavor (is how it was described to me)
-Me

Yeah, I think that someone was me. DMS (Or Dimethylsulfide) is released. I cant remember the specifics and all but I do know that you are supposed to boil with the lid off. I believe DMS give your beer the 'butterscotch' flavor (is how it was described to me)
-Me

Nope! Close though. DMS is vegetal- like cabbage when really bad, or corned corn when not so bad. Diacetyl (a yeast by-product) is the buttery flavor. DMS is produced by wort, diacetyl produced by yeast.

Back