Lilac Flowers ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
Anyone done anything with Lilac flowers before....they are starting to bloom in my area...and I love the smell...got the idea to try to use them in a brew...maybe as a dry hop or flameout addition...have seen lots of post with other flowers but never lilac unless its lilac wine

thinking of doing a simple blonde ale...with them...

Thoughts...good be cool...could suck real bad...Ill find out when I get a chance to try it in a week or two

Maybe a huge dryhop addition in a lighter style for aroma? Lilac Blonde?

Just make sure to shake all the bugs out. They love to hide in the flowers.

Whoa, check this out. On it I found,

Honey Lilac Blonde Recipe:

Specifics:

5.25 Gallons
OG: 1.051
TG: 1.013
SRM: 7.23
IBU: 22.8
Single Infusion @152F
Batch Sparge
60 minute boil

Grain:
7 lbs. Pilsen
1 lbs. White Wheat Malt
1 lbs. Munich 10L
.5 lbs. Naked Golden Oats
.5 lbs. Carapils
.25 lbs. Caramel 20L

Hops:
1 oz Crystal @60 min
.5 oz Crystal @ 20 min
.5 oz Saaz @ 20 min
.5 oz Crystal @ 5 min
.5 oz Saaz @ 5 min

Yeast:
Safbrew T-58

Extras:
2 oz Heather Tips at 5 minutes
2 oz Chamomile Flowers-dried- at 5 minutes
2 g Coriander (crushed) at 5 minutes
1 g Grains of Paradise
4 quarts (compacted) fresh Lilac flowers at 5 minutes
.5 lbs. clover honey to secondary

I brewed a Lilac beer. I just carbonated it and it's really good. I used a basic blonde recipe and then additions of Lilacs at 5 minutes and 3 minutes. It's floral and I will say delicious.
Cheers!

A blonde, and a Kolsch work really well with lilac. I have a saison that used it as well that is good. Nothing fancy standard base and use some at flame out and more in secondary. Experimenting with a wheat beer right now using it but will not know that result until next week.

Was going to try my hand at this, and even managed to remember to brew a Blonde in time, but about 2 days before I racked to secondary a wind storm stripped all of the lilac flowers from the trees.

Not sure how it would have worked with the Amarillo and Citra hops I used, but it might have been interesting.

Back