Priming Sugar Alcohol boost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleomkd

Reaction score
Hi everybody, i just bottled my first batch of beer :tank:. My OG was 1.032, and my FG was 1.004. I added 3/4 cup of corn sugar to my 5 gallon batch. How much will the priming sugar boost the alcohol content in the beer? Tnx :mug:

Revvy said:
I had the figure posted somewhere but 4.5-5 oz of priming sugar only boosts the abv by about .003% or so. Hardly anything.

It seems to me that it would add about 2 gravity points to an og. Would that not mean about (2/10)% in this case too?

5 ozs of corn sugar = 11 gravity points. In 5 gallons that would be about 2 points per gallon. or the equivalent of changing the .002. This would equate to about 0.25%.

But ..... it all depends on how much water you dissolve it in. If you dissolve it in 2 pints, the added priming liquid will have a gravity of 1.044, and if used in a beer that had an OG of 1.044 would result in zero increase in abv. (Yes, I know corn sugar will ferment out to lower than 1.000, so would actually add some extra abv, but not enough to argue about).

By the same rationale, if the 2 pints of priming liquid was added to a high gravity beer, it might slightly reduce the final abv.

I've had FG's go that low....but people always will try and share the ever livin' crap outta ya and say it got low because of an infection. Not always the case my friend. And no...it will not boost the alcohol hardly at all. Base your ABV readings of of OG and FG prior to putting the priming sugar in.

Thanks for your help, I don't need more alcohol, I was just curious. I really hope its not infected or anything, just want it to be drinkable since its my first one :).
that seems like a really low FG. were you brewing Miller Lite?

The kit says it is an "American Light Lager".

Back