Okay, stop hounding me, I'll enter it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So last night was Poker Nite, and most of my friends are big wine/beer connoisseurs. A couple of them are or were homebrewers. So I brought out, amongst other selections, a bottle from my dwindling supply of Dark Horse Stout v1.0. Now, I know, they told me this the last time they tried it, but, damn. They hounded me like crazy to enter it in a comp before it's gone. "This is one of the best HB's I've ever had!!" I mean, they simply would not let it go.

duel.gif

So...I'm gonna oblige them, and enter it. I just need to know which comp I should send them to, and when it is. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never done this before. I know alot of people here will come back with the kneejerk reaction that comp threads usually get: DON'T ENTER COMPS! THEY'RE A WASTE OF TIME! But, look, I've never done it before, and I figure, why the hell not just try once? So, having preempted it, does anyone have any advice other than that?

Now you're just bragging!! Then again I would too if I had a great beer. I say go for it! At the very least you'll get some good feedback from "trained" judges that might help you make your beer even better. I'll be entering an oatmeal stout to a comp here in the SF Bay Area, a bit far from your neck of the woods though...

Yeah, I'm not bragging, though I am proud of that batch. I'm gonna go the NHC route. That's what popped up during my Google search earlier, but I wasn't sure if anyone had any other thoughts.

I'll second the NHC. You get great judging results and it is by far the most professionally run competition I've ever entered. That and its cool winning a medal from the NHC... talk about a heavy duty piece of gear!

Do it!:rockin: I entered three different competitions last year. I didn't win squat, but I did learn a few things from the feedback I got and I think it helped me tweak and improve the recipes of the beers I entered. There is a good list here. The Bluebonnet is a pretty big one.

omniscientomar said:

:off: Dood (not to be confused with 'Dude'), how do you even say that name???

Anyhoo, the beer swap alone has given me really great feedback on my beers. I would definitely enter your beer.

I'm confused though, is the general consensus that contests are a waste? I haven't heard that, but with shipping and all...

At least with the swap you get beers and give them...

Evan! said:
So last night was Poker Nite, and most of my friends are big wine/beer connoisseurs. A couple of them are or were homebrewers. So I brought out, amongst other selections, a bottle from my dwindling supply of Dark Horse Stout v1.0. Now, I know, they told me this the last time they tried it, but, damn. They hounded me like crazy to enter it in a comp before it's gone. "This is one of the best HB's I've ever had!!" I mean, they simply would not let it go.

duel.gif

So...I'm gonna oblige them, and enter it. I just need to know which comp I should send them to, and when it is. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never done this before. I know alot of people here will come back with the kneejerk reaction that comp threads usually get: DON'T ENTER COMPS! THEY'RE A WASTE OF TIME! But, look, I've never done it before, and I figure, why the hell not just try once? So, having preempted it, does anyone have any advice other than that?

Spoken like a true EAC. Go on my son, enter it!!! GO FOR IT

Seems like once a day guys are coming up to me at work and asking if I am going to enter the Longshot competition. They haven't even tasted my beers. I would like to get into competition someday just for the feedback. I would think it would take a truly outstanding beer to actually win and I am nowhere near that level yet.

DON'T ENTER COMPS! THEY'RE A WASTE OF TIME! But, look, I've never done it before, and I figure, why the hell not just try once? So, having preempted it, does anyone have any advice other than that?

I have never heard that competitions are a waste of time. I entered my first competition last year with three beers and won second place for a porter I made. I had only been brewing for a few months. The feedback for all three was valuable and worth entering even if I had not won anything.

knipknup said:
:off: Dood (not to be confused with 'Dude'), how do you even say that name???

Knipknup, I read it like this: ahm nish ent oh mar. Any help?

Oh and Evan!, I say go for it. You have plenty of beer on hand--so nothing to lose, right. :mug:

I've only had a chance to sample a couple of the beers in that batch that you sent me, Evan!, but both were great. The smoked porter, especially, I thought was outstanding. So yeah, send a couple bottles in.

I'd shoot a couple bottles at the Longshot competition, as well; why not? I'd probably send them whatever you have that's good and somewhat unusual - note that they didn't have an APA or IPA or anything else that's pretty common in this year's batch. I doubt they'll pick another old ale, but if you have a beer that's a little bit off the beaten path, I'd send it in to them.

:off:

Incidentally, did anybody hear the interview that James Spencer (Basic Brewing Radio) did with the Sam Adams employee winner? The guy who did the Boysenberry Wheat?

Basically, his entire recipe was wheat DME, boysenberry extract from the HBS, a hefe yeast, and I can't remember his hops. Nothing complicated at all, barely even a recipe, really. No speciality grains ("teabagging," as he called it). He brews once a year, for the contest; very strange hearing someone talk about homebrewing as if it's only an annual thing ("I'm trying to figure out what I will brew this year").

Just.... strange...

the_bird said:
:off:

Incidentally, did anybody hear the interview that James Spencer (Basic Brewing Radio) did with the Sam Adams employee winner? The guy who did the Boysenberry Wheat?

Basically, his entire recipe was wheat DME, boysenberry extract from the HBS, a hefe yeast, and I can't remember his hops. Nothing complicated at all, barely even a recipe, really. No speciality grains ("teabagging," as he called it). He brews once a year, for the contest; very strange hearing someone talk about homebrewing as if it's only an annual thing ("I'm trying to figure out what I will brew this year").

Just.... strange...

Bird, my homebrew club was discussing the longshot contest Wednesday and we were told that the "simple" recipes are what Sam Adams is looking for. Basically they want recipes that they can do on a large scale, that is going to exclude a lot of fancy recipes.

So Evan! if you have something simple and good, my advice is to enter that.

Back