Does everyone here use secondaries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I am in the middle of my first batch. I have a 5gal carboy and a plastic bucket. Is it really worthwile to perform a secondary fermentation in another carboy. I can understand the purpose would be to seperate the beer from the yeast at the bottom. Does this make a noticible difference in beeer quality. I think i will go ahead and get a second carboy but i will get a 6.5 gallon and use my current 5 gallon for secondary? Sound good? Also when do you put beer from primary to secondary, or does it depend on several things? Thanks in advance!

I was lucky enough to have my girlfriend (at the time) get me a starter kit with two glass carboys, so I've always used a secondary fermenter. Aside from just getting it off the yeast, it becomes convenient if, for some reason, you aren't able to bottle your beer when you originally planned (which I guarantee WILL happen). If left in the primary, the yeast cake would break down eventually and impart off-flavors. I think using a secondary also helps the beer clear better. In addition, if you rack from a bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy into a 5 gallon secondary, the amount of airspace above the beer is dramatically increased, which is helpful. I can't really speak to advantages over not using a secondary, because I've always used one.

Hope this helps!

BREW ON:mug:

so far never, and I've made some Dang good beers. the bottle is my secondary. I do get a little more sediment in the bottle, but that doesn't bother me.

I've used a secondary for every batch I've brewed so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I think it does because it gets the beer off the yeast.

I think that doing a secondary is worth the extra time. Dang good beers without a secondary. Dang great beers with a secondary.

I've done some of each. I'm not the best brewer, but the beers seem to taste about the same (quality wise), except the ones that went into secondary's are clearer (duh). I don't care about clarity, so it's okay for me to do most of my batches in primary alone, I think.

Sounds like this would make a good poll. I personally have never used a secondary and like my beer just fine. I'm also not interested in clarity considering most of mine are fairly dark anyway. That being said, I can't judge whether or not it would make it better 'cause I never used one. Like a lot of things with brewing it comes down to personal preference.

My "House Beer" gets two weeks in the primary and straight to bottle. It is a damn fine brew, for my taste maybe the best I've ever had, and while I have tinkered with the formula, I have never considered using a secondary for it. This said, I do use a secondary for a lot of things. There are few absolutes in this home brewing, but one of them is you go with what works for your taste.

I always use a secondary for a few reasons:

Cuts down the head space from my 6.5 gallon primary.

Gets the beer off the yeast.

Clarifies the beer.

Most importantly, it frees up my primary for my next batch!

Back