Hops in AK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daren

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone from AK (Homer)has grown hops or has heard if it is fesable to grow hops here any input would be great. Thanks

I would imagine it would work out very well there. You guys have a ton of daylight in the summer and Homer gets a decent amount of rain. I'd definately go for it.

I used to live up the road in Ninilchik about 17 years ago.

Maybe this article will encourage you.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/113931

Because of the short growing season, you'll probably want early maturing varieties. Fuggle & Northern Brewer are good choices. Some of the Goldings are earlies.

Mike do you know what kind grow best and what kind are you going to grow up here or are you just trying to grow the kind you like. Any info you have would be great like when should I plant them stuff like that if you have it if not I would still like to here how it works out for you. Thanks and good luck.

Well to tell the truth this will be my first year- I dont even really remember which ones I bought. I will look though

I do know its cousin grows really well though

One of my neighbors here in Juneau grows them on the side of his house and has a whole wall of huge hop plants. I don't have a clue how he does it though since we average 230 days of rain and don't get a lot of sun...

I've read about some people in Fairbanks who've been successful though. They grow them near the entry way deck in fron of their house and have some grow lights and heat lamps at the end of the summer when the weather starts to drift.

Back