Max mash for 5 gallon mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon circular igloo style mash tun.
What is the maximum amount of grains you can safely mash with? 10-12 lbs?

Assume normal amount of mash water, say 1.25-1.5 qrts/lbs.

Yes 10-12 at the usual 1.25 quarts. I've done up to 14 pounds with using a lower water to grist ratio. Green Bay Rackers Mash Calculator.

Scroll down to the "can I mash it" calculator. It's a valuable tool to use to figure out how much grain can be hel in any sized mash tun.

I've been using my 5 gallon for 6-7 years and have never had a problem with 99% of my batches. The others, the rare barleywine I either borrow someone's larger cooler, or do a 2.5 gallon batch.

I've done 15 lbs in my 5 gallon rubbermaid water cooler. It seems like the holding capacity is closer to 5.25-5.4 gallons though. I mashed with a 1:1 ratio and topped up with correct temp water once I reached my mash temp to get a little thinner mash ratio. It worked out fine; I just had to be careful when stirring.

How fast should a mash tun drain? I have a rectangle 10 gallon cooler. I put 5 gallons in and it takes about 45 min. Is that too slow

How fast should a mash tun drain? I have a rectangle 10 gallon cooler. I put 5 gallons in and it takes about 45 min. Is that too slow

Depends on your sparging process. Fly sparging takes a lot longer than batch sparging. With a batch sparge after you vorlaff you can open it up wide open and empty it in a few minutes. Fly sparging can take 45 to a hour.

I was planning on batch sparging. I changed my valve no it drains 5 gal in 10 mins. Is that a good flow rate

I was planning on batch sparging. I changed my valve no it drains 5 gal in 10 mins. Is that a good flow rate

That sounds more typical for batch sparging. 45 minutes seems too long for batch sparging, typically.

Back