at hospital having kid, thinking of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How bad is this of me? I'm at the hospital, we'll be having a baby boy soon, and i'm looking around to see what free stuff can be used for brewing. Some nice graduated containers i spotted, maybe for yeast washing???

LOL! Congrats man! I'll be in the same situation some time in July and I'm already planning what beer to make to commemorate the occasion.

Who knows, if all goes well you might get to cut the cord and change the first ooey-gooey black mess. Betcha won't be thinking about brewing then!

Huge congrats out to you. Enjoy the moment because it will rock your world. Brewing can take a timeout.

Congratulations. Thinking about brewing is good practive because with a new child in the home, the only brewing you may be doing for a while will be in your head.

Hehe I remember those days. Thinking about doing something just turns into wishing for sleep. Congrats on the new little one however. They are a blast in no time.

Congrats! Grab an oxygen tank if you see one!! Seriously though, expect some time away from your hobby... I had my 1st baby a month ago & haven't brewed in 5 weeks, but I've purchased tons of stuff preparing for the next brew. Time to begin planning & building with your time @ home. Just don't forget to enjoy the family time too!! Next week will be the 1st brewday in 6 weeks - Saison time!!

Thanks ya'll! I'll have to brew vicariously through you and reading up on all the good things going on here. But i hope i have enough on tap to last until the next brew day.... aug maybe??? Thanks again for the kind words!

Thanks ya'll! I'll have to brew vicariously through you and reading up on all the good things going on here. But i hope i have enough on tap to last until the next brew day.... aug maybe??? Thanks again for the kind words!

You'll just have to settle for some good SD microbrew for awhile. Which hospital are you using down there??

Don't listen to these guys -- you can still make time for brewing! Kids at that age don't do anything, and particularly if it's your first, your wife will probably be monopolizing the kid's time anyway. Brewing is a lot easier to justify to the wife than going out to a bar and drinking!

Nor would I worry too much that you're thinking about brewing. In a couple hours, you'll have MORE than enough to do... But the whole "waiting in the delivery" room at this point is boring. [Not for her, it isn't, but it is for you.]

And, of course, congrats!

solbes said:
Who knows, if all goes well you might get to cut the cord and change the first ooey-gooey black mess. Betcha won't be thinking about brewing then!

I changed my first daughters first slimy mess. Its a memory that will never leave my brain. Nobody ever warned me, so I was unprepared.

As for brewing, you won't have time anymore, so stop thinking about it ;).

Oh yeah, congrats

More thanks for the support guys. This kid is #2 so i know what technical details to expect- tho i hear boys (this one) squirt arouhd more. Brew time is once every 3-4 months w the first kid, i think that might space out more now too. I guess i can make up for it w bigger batches :)

13 hours in room watching the wife in not the most comfort, reading lots of old hbt threads and am still learning good stuff.

This does remind me of when I sat in on my homebrew club's BJCP off-flavor tasting session (many of them were going for the test). I remember distinctly the "butyric acid" off flavor. The odor was described as "baby evacuate -- either end".

One whiff, and as a new father at the time, it certainly smelled familiar!

9 lbs 3 oz of baby boy to carry on the smith family name! Don' t want the name to die out after all :) no pic yet, still at the hospital and now way to upload one (no fancy smart phone for me)

Sounds like a big boy and a small beer at the same time. 9 lbs of grain and 3 oz of hops!

You can't know your limits until you exceed them.

Congratulations. Thinking about brewing is good practive because with a new child in the home, the only brewing you may be doing for a while will be in your head.

Sad but true....my father's day present is a double batch brew day...might try to make it a triple

Save the placenta and use it for dry-hopping on your 2nd racking. Mmmmmmm good! :)

Oh man I can't believe I just read that. I'm no longer hungry.

Back to the OP, congrats on your baby boy!

LOL, HBT is always there to learn new things and provide a good laugh!

Here's the kid btw, now i'm the old man so i gotta be proud of offspring :)

matt.jpg

Congrats! Make sure you save those baby-bottle nipples! I hear they make good gaskets for your HLT, MLT, and Keggle! Not sure if a breast pump can be adapted for brewing or not. ;)

Congrats! Make sure you save those baby-bottle nipples! I hear they make good gaskets for your HLT, MLT, and Keggle! Not sure if a breast pump can be adapted for brewing or not. ;)

Maybe you can make a true Auto Siphon out of the breast pump when its no longer needed for momma. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back