How to remove orange juice jug odors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidman199

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone of you know how to get rid of the orange juice odors? I want to use it as a container for my metabisulfite solution.
I've tried to clean it with some pink chlor detergent but it still smell orange juice.

Any idea?

fill the jug 1/2 full with water, add about 1/4 baking soda, shake to mix, top off with water and let sit for a day. It should remove any odors/flavors.

OR

Fill it 1/8 or more of the way up with rubbing alcohol and throw in a few tablespoons of coarse salt. Give it a strong shaking for a few mins and it will be crystal clear. Once done, wash out with warm water. Plus, now you have it sanitized! :)

OR

Fill it 1/8 or more of the way up with rubbing alcohol and throw in a few tablespoons of coarse salt. Give it a strong shaking for a few mins and it will be crystal clear. Once done, wash out with warm water. Plus, now you have it sanitized! :)

Thanx for your answer.
I'll give it a try next time :)

Plus, now you have it sanitized!
careful. iso alcohol is quite different from actual labled 'sanitizers', and requires concentrations above 60-70% and several minutes of contact time to be effective. and it still does not kill a considerable number of things, like spores, or some more resistant, or especially- dormant, virii/bacteria.

Back