Inverted carboy fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ma23456

Reaction score
Does anybody use an inverted Carboy for a fermenter works out to be similar to a conical just cheaper seeing as I already have a glass Carboy... And a better bottle... But can I use the better bottle?

i think one advantage to the conical is being able to rack the beer off of the yeast without disturbing the yeast/trub, not sure how you'd do that with a carboy.

Well basically you get a brewcap (2 outputs) one is a tube going to the top air pocket and leading out into a water cup similar to a blow off tube... And the other is to drain trub then after the trub is gone the beer can be transferred Google brewcap and you will find diagrams

image-283192762.jpg

Something kind of like that

Attachments

• image-2432875390.jpg
    image-2432875390.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,532
I'm reading a book called brew ware By Karl lutzen and mark Stevens and they speak about doing this they say if it gets stuck just swirl a bit

So what is your opinion on this worth it or not?

I really don't have an opinion.....it seems cool for a DIY project. But really if I were going to go through all that to build a 5 gallon pseudo conical, I'd order one of those US plastic conical shaped tanks, and make a "real" conical.

Picture_0024.jpg

From here.

I think US plastics sells 5 gallon tanks as well if you wanted to go smaller.

damn you revvy, just when i get my whole brewing area situated, now i have to mess up the garage building that thing and find a place to put it in my brewsment (brewery basement, yeah, i'm clever)
thanks.

Back