Thank you all for making my first AG brew day a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veritas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Although I've only posted a few times, I have been combing through HBT's forums for months now, collecting ideas, watching videos, making notes, designing my rig,and getting ready to jump into AG brewing. Thanks to all of your excellent information, great discussions, and detailed descriptions of your successes (and a few failures to learn from...) I was able to build my very first system, and have successfully brewed my first AG batch; a simple American Pale Ale.

I thought I'd post a few pics to celebrate... I give you "The Blue Yeti."
rig 2.jpg
rig.jpg

The Yeti is a RIMS; using a 1500w 110v LD element, 2 inch SS Heat Exchanger, Auber Instruments PID and RTD, Blichmann 10g BC on a Blichmann burner with extended legs, a home-made Sanke keg HLT, a Coleman cooler MT (with cpvc manifold, recirculating "T," and sparge arm), SS cam locks, a Shirron plate chiller, and a March pump, all mounted on a Werner Scaffold.

Looking at the pics, you'll see the inspiration from many of our HBT brethren. I'm sure you see the concepts from Sawdustguy and Bobby M, just to name a couple.
heat chamber.jpg
controller.jpg

The rig still has a few "ghetto features" that I'll clean up in future, but for now; I'm brewin' beer, and that's what matters most.

I have learned so much along the way in this process that I signed up as a premium member today to help support this great resource, and look forward to continuing to learn from everyone here. The first thing I learned, by the way, is that whatever your rig-budget is; multiply it by 5... trust me on this.

So, thanks again for all of the great ideas and concepts that contributed to the Yeti-Build. I will raise my first glass of homebrew in a few weeks and toast HBT and its members for all of the help along the way.

Cheers!

Congrats on your first batch, a rather difficult style to pull off for your first one (maintaining the proper SRM). Your setup is much better than mine and I've been ag brewing for over 10 years!

Thanks avidhomebrewer... I did choose an ambitious first brew. Fortunately, I have a buddy who has been brewing for 20+ years who "supervised" my first batch...

Next weekend, we're brewing a Helles. Nothing like being over-ambitious, right?

Wow nice build, and for a first batch, unbelievable. I would think most brew their first AG w/ almost "nothing", and then build a little something, but usually nothing like you have done...hah. Nice work! :mug:

Yeah, I think I went "all in" to borrow a poker term...

My thinking on my build was similar to my thinking about playing the guitar; I've been playing the blues for about 20 years now, and I know that the quality of the guitar you pick up definitely impacts the sound of your music. Yes, you can play great blues on a POS Fender Squire, but there's just something about the tone of a 1955 Harmony archtop that'll make you push to play your best. Any guitarists out there will understand.

I hope my brews matches my blues some day...

Thanks for the compliment.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I noticed exposed wiring on your RIMS tube.
Be careful!
Otherwise looks like a cool rig.

No worries; I took the PVC cap off of the end to show the connection to the heating element for the pictures. I keep the "hot end" of the tube covered. In fact, I actually have a grounding screw attached to one of my U-bolts, just to be sure... electricity has no sense of humor.

2011-01-08 16.01.33.jpg

Well, here we are about a month later, and I'm happy to say that I am the proud drinker of my first-born American Pale Ale... and it tastes amazing!

Thanks again to everyone who helped make my first batch of AG homebrew a success.

Cheers!:mug:

That's pretty impressive! I don't even remember all the ghetto features that made my first AG brew possible... kinda wish I'd have taken a picture now!

Either way, it looks like you have a pretty decent system set up! Congrats :)

Back