Maybe a stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsean

Reaction score
So this might be a stupid question. But last Saturday I pre-boiled my water because I was planning on brewing the next day, and put it in my fermenter. Well things did not work out, and I won't be able to brew until tomorrow. Should I re-sanitize the bucket and re-boil water, or should everything be fine.

My gut tells me everything should be fine, but I just want to confirm.

Thanks;

If it's been sealed the whole time, you're probably fine. If it's been just an open bucket the whole time, I'd re-boil. If it were me, I'd probably reboil just to be safe, but I'm pretty particular (anal) about that sort of thing.

Is this your brewing water or your top off water? If it's the boil water and has been covered I guess you could reuse it, you would be boiling it again after all. If it's your top off water.. well, I probably wouldn't risk it.

I think its fine. You don't need to boil top off water in the first place. And if you did and its been covered the entire time then you are fine.

Yes its top off water. I have always been told to boil my top off since I use tap water.

I think I will do it anyways, since it is a pretty painless process to do really.

Thanks

boil it. we are thinking of getting a water filter to prevent this. we currently buy water. which sucks. good luck!

I am brand new to home brewing so you will have to take my comments with that in mind.

It seems to me since it is brewing water, I assume it will be heated for the mash and then sent to the boil kettle to boil another 1 to 2 hours.

Wouldn't the boil kettle operation sterilize it?

Lots of extract brewers are limited to using the kitchen stove or a kettle that can't boil the entire 5-7 gallons of liquid needed for a full boil. So they do a partial boil, say 3 gallons, and then when cooled, top it off with water in the fermenter to reach target volume and gravity.

If you did a good job sanitizing the container your water is in and you have it covered you will be fine.

You killed all the bugs. A day or two isn't gonna hurt ;)

RDWHAHB

Lots of extract brewers are limited to using the kitchen stove or a kettle that can't boil the entire 5-7 gallons of liquid needed for a full boil. So they do a partial boil, say 3 gallons, and then when cooled, top it off with water in the fermenter to reach target volume and gravity.

That is my exact set up, except I boil my top off water first, and let it cool overnight, to save some time on brew day.

Back