How long on priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with carbonation on using the set and forget method on my keezer, so I recently tried to carbonate using priming sugar. I used 60 grams and 2 cups of water boil for 15 minutes and cooled in my Nukey brown clone. I figure 3 weeks is good to drop in the keezer and hook up to CO2, but thought maybe I should wait long perhaps?

What temperature is it in your keezer? It sounds like it might be too cold for natural carbonation which occurs at ale fermenting temps. Room temperature is good.

If that is a 5 gallon batch, 60 grams is very little priming sugar. You should be using (average) closer to 140 grams for 5 gal (1 ounce or 28 grams / gallon). Unless you are looking for VERY light carbonation in this particular batch... and it should be allowed to prime at the same temp you have been fermenting the batch.. not in the kegerator (which is what I thought you meant, anyway).

2 weeks is 'enough' time. 3 weeks is a bit better and I think you will get more agreement on 3 weeks from others.

If that is a 5 gallon batch, 60 grams is very little priming sugar. You should be using (average) closer to 140 grams for 5 gal (1 ounce or 28 grams / gallon). Unless you are looking for VERY light carbonation in this particular batch... and it should be allowed to prime at the same temp you have been fermenting the batch.. not in the kegerator (which is what I thought you meant, anyway).

2 weeks is 'enough' time. 3 weeks is a bit better and I think you will get more agreement on 3 weeks from others.

This is for bottled carbonated. You need signicantly less sugar for a keg.

why do some people use less sugar for kegs? It's still the same amount of beer that needs to be carbed up. I use 3/4 cups of corn sugar for 95% of what I brew whether I'm kegging or bottling. That always seems to work fine for me.

I use 1/3 cup and itWorks great. Around 12psi at that much. You can check out the info in the JOy of Homebrewing if you like.

That's true about different info, But I have keg primed quite a bit(love the hefes) and even put the normal amount for bottling 5 gallons(mistake) and it was WAY over carbonated.

I keep the kegs in a water bath at about 66-68 while they are priming. I used less sugar because I thought that was the consensus on what I read. I bought the cheap CO2 regulator and 4 valve distributer without individual CO2 regulators, so it's very difficult to tell exactly what my PSI is. I have like 8 feet of line on each tap, purge the lines before each pull, let the line adjust to the temp with fresh beer in it and still get about a half glass of foam every time. Even more on near empty kegs. If I turn down the PSI to adjust for a foamy beer, my newer kegs seem to never fully carb. Thus, the switch to priming sugar for me. Thanks for all the replies.

Back