Disposable Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcobbs

Reaction score
I came up with this a while back and posted it over in the Premier Malt Extract thread kind of as an experiment. It seemed to work out well and I have just started my second batch, so I'm putting it here with some photos so as to have a home of its own. I apologize in advance for the cross posting.

**Note** This is not intended to be a real craft beer. Just something to try if you're in the mood for something easy, have limited space/time/money, all your fermenters are full, etc, etc. I've done this exactly once, so YMMV...

1 - 2.5 gallon container of spring water (the square kind with a spigot)
1 - 2.2 lb can Premier Malt Extract - light hopped
1 - package Munton's Ale Yeast (or you can use the yeast that comes with the PME if you feel sure it's fresh)
2 cups table sugar plus some for priming
24 - 12oz plastic soda bottles, cleaned & sanitized
1-airlock with rubber stopper (rubber is important)
1- sharp knife

Break the seal on the spigot of the water container and drain about 1.5 gallons into a clean container. (I do this as a no-boil beer; if you want you can bring the water to a boil, turn off the heat and add the malt extract.) Add the can of malt extract and the sugar; shake/stir vigorously until completely mixed and there is no extract residue clinging to the bottom of the container.

Clean and sanitize the top of the water container on the outside. On the top of the container, use a sanitized sharp knife to cut a 1" hole, making it as perfectly round as possible. Pour the wort back into the container through the hole and top up with remaining water, leaving about 1 to 1-1/2" of head space. When the wort has cooled to about 80 degrees (if you did a boil,) pitch the yeast. Seal the hole with airlock & stopper. It is important to use one of the white rubber stoppers--the silicone kind are too firm and will not make a tight seal. Rubber stoppers are flexible enough to accommodate imperfections in the shape of the hole.

Ferment until airlock activity stops and you can see through the container that the yeast has dropped. (1-2 weeks). Clean and sanitize 24 12oz plastic soda bottles (Dr. Pepper works best). Prime bottles with 1/2 tsp table sugar per bottle and fill from the spigot on the water container. Condition in a dark place. When bottles have become rock-hard, wait one more week before chilling & serving, or go by Revvy's rule--3 weeks at 70 degrees for bottle conditioning.

When you're finished bottling, throw the fermenter away. When you're finished drinking throw the bottles away. No racking, no hoses, no capping, no boiling, no mess. You're done. You can make this and drink it while all your carboys are full of mead & apfelwein that's taking forever to age. Or while all your fermenters and kegs are full of that really good beer you're making for the holidays. If you have an extra airlock & stopper and you live near one of those country stores that carries Premier Malt, you can do the whole project without even a trip to the LHBS. Good luck!

IMG004461.jpg

IMG00447.jpg

IMG00450.jpg

IMG00451.jpg

That is a neat idea.

But you really need a day 2 picture because of Blow-off.

That set-up doesn't offer much for head space.

But you do get one heck of a +1 for your idea.

-Jason

I agree that it is a nice idea, but we must also consider the impacts that brewing like this just leads to more and more plastic ending up in some landfill. By carefully recycling equipment, we can help eliminate the extremely wasteful habits of todays beer consuming culture. Disposable= Non Sustainable. I'll step off my soapbox now... :drunk:

I agree that it is a nice idea, but we must also consider the impacts that brewing like this just leads to more and more plastic ending up in some landfill. By carefully recycling equipment, we can help eliminate the extremely wasteful habits of todays beer consuming culture. Disposable= Non Sustainable. I'll step off my soapbox now... :drunk:

You don't get out much do you?

I understand your point, brewdogskip. We're not as eco-friendly as we should be in our house, but we do try to be careful of waste and do some things to help out. We compost all our veggie waste, and try to reuse things before we toss them. In defense of my little project, I would offer: (1) It's certainly not meant to be one's main brewing setup, just an occasional thing; (2) The soda bottles are getting another use cycle before being discarded, and I have reused them more than once. They will handle several bottling cycles. (3) All the plastic containers for this are recyclable. No reason you can't recycle them when the brewing is finished.

Cheeto, I didn't have much problem with head space on the last brew, but yeah, depending on how the krausen forms I did get this one a little full. I should know in a day or so if I have a problem. If I have a blowup I'll post the gory pics :)

Cheeto, I didn't have much problem with head space on the last brew, but yeah, depending on how the krausen forms I did get this one a little full. I should know in a day or so if I have a problem. If I have a blowup I'll post the gory pics :)

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Well, I no sooner got this batch in the fermenter than it dropped below freezing here and didn't come up for a couple of weeks. I managed to get enough heat in my brew cabinet to keep the batch from freezing, but that's all. Now that we're finally thawing out I ventured out this morning to check. Holy Frankenstein, Batman, it's alive! :ban:

It bubbled up into the airlock and dribbled a few drops on to the cork, but no big blowoff. So unfortunately no gory pics. :p If that changes I'll let you know.

The other good outcome from this is that I used some generic "lager yeast" that came with a can of Premier Malt extract, that I had been afraid to try before. It was very close to its expiration date, so I thought I'd try it and then re-pitch if it didn't work. But it looks like that's not an issue.

Besides trying out the disposable thing, this is also somewhat of an experimental recipe. If it turns out drinkable I'll post, but for now let's just say it involves a pound of DME and a can of powdered Ovaltine :cross:

Back