Adding Sugar Later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I have a cider that has aged 6 months. It is a bit dry. If I add Sorbistat-k and Potassium Metabisulfite can I back sweeten with something other than artificial sweeteners (ie juice, table sugar, etc)? I do not want to use artificial sweeteners because they all taste bad. How long do I need to wait to ad sweeter after I add the Sorbistat-k and Potassium Metabisulfite? Then how long do I wait to bottle?

Thanks
Kevin

I like to add the sulfites and sorbate, wait a day or two, then sweeten. I'd sweeten to just a little less than you'd like- it seems like it always gets sweeter in the bottle.

You can use honey, sugar, etc, if you stabilize it first, without any problem of refermentation.

How long do you wait to bottle after sweeting (ie to prevent bottle bombs)?

Thanks
Kevin

How are determining refermintation? A hydrometer or if bubbles appear?

Thanks

Kevin

Yes, hydrometer and/or if bubbles appear.

Bubbles aren't a reliable sign of fermentation- bubbles can happen for any number of weather related resons, for example. But if there is significant bubbling after sweetening and there wasn't before, that could be a sign that the sorbate and sulfite didn't quite finish the job and fermentation restarted. A hydrometer, over a couple of days, will confirm.

Back