Should I re-rack this or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
So I brewed up a stout a back on January 24th. I let primary for 14 days, racked into a corny, purged and put about 10 pounds on top of it, disconnected from the CO2 and left it at room temp for a little over a week. then into the fridge to crash cool.

The plan was to rack into another corny and carb. The flaw in that plan is I have been insanely busy and have not gotten to it. And now my wife has the house torn apart for painting (meaning I have to help with this :( ) and I probably wont get to it until Sunday.

So, it has been in the corny for over 2 week, and in the fridge for over 1 week. My question, is do I need to rack it to a new clean corny to get it off of whatever else has settled out, or do you think it will be OK? Can I just pull the first pint or two off to remove the trub once it is carbed?

I have not cut the dip tupe for the corny that it is in, so it still goes all the way to the bottom of the keg.

Why don't you just drop off the pressure and remove the dip tube, bring it near to the kegs orifice and just bend a bit (a little at a time) instead of cutting?

The small bends will result in about 2-3" clearance from the bottom. :D

I don't normally secondary I just leave the beer in the primary 2-3 weeks then right to keg. I would pull a few pints to see how it looks if after 3 its still got sediment then just bend the tube a little.

Back