Yeast for Redhook E.S.B clone? Going to LHBS today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hi, all...I'm brewing the following Redhook E.S.B. clone:

6 lbs. light liquid malt extract
1 lb. light dry malt
1 lb. 60 deg.L crystal
2 oz. Willamette hops
2 oz. Tettnanger hops
Ale yeast

The recipe looks good to me, but I don't know what yeast to use. My LHBS carries Wyeast.

I don't have perfect temperature control, more than likely I'm brewing around 72-75 degrees. Any suggestions on a strain? And if you have any recipe amendments, please feel free to make those as well.

Thanks,

CB

Arrggghh...

I have a fantastic Redhook ESB clone recipe but it's at home and I'm at work. I've been extremely happy with it and have made it several times and it's gotten great reviews within my HBC. I could send it to you tonight if you haven't already bought all of your ingredients.

... and i'm kicking myself.... I can't remember my exact hops for it.

This was my very first brew. Turned out okay despite the warm yeast pitch. I used Coopers Dry gold. I didn't like the esters (perhaps from the temp) but it also blew my airlock off. Man that stuff has some serious attenuation. BYO's issue of 150 clones reports to use either Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or White Labs WLP004 (Irish Ale)

The recipe looks good, but you may consider steeping .5# Carapils as well (better Head). Everybody loves Head!:D

Hop schedule should be:

1 oz Willamette 60 min
.5 oz tet 15 min
.5 oz willamette 15 min
1.5 oz tet steep for 5 minutes post boil.

Hope this helps

Aw, thanks man. Yes, please send it along...if I'm not feeling confident when I get to the brewshop I'll put this off for a week...I have others to do.

Anyone else?

CB

Woops... forgot the extra 1.5 oz willamette post boil too. But you only have .5 oz left soooo just use that I guess

According to BYO's "150 Classic Clone Recipes" you'd want Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale or WLP004 Irish Ale.

They also specify Willamette and Tettnang hops, so looks like you are pretty close. Their hop schedule is --

60: 1oz Willamette
15: .5oz Tettnang, .5oz Willamette
0: 1.5oz Tettnang, 1.5oz Willamette (steep post boil)

They assume 5%AA for the Willamette and 4%AA for the Tettnang.

Chad

eta: Apparently I type too slow. Beaten to it.

So...many...choices...

I just used Ringwood Ale for a darker beer, so in the interest of variety, I won't use that one.

Perhaps a poll?

Not sure if you've already got this settled but here's the recipe I was talking about:

6.6 lbs of light LME
10 oz of 60 degree lovibond crystal malt
4 oz malto-dextrin
32 IBU Willamette
2 oz Tettnang
1 tsp irish moss
Wyeast 1098 (British ale)

OG 1050
FG 1013

Not sure why they gave the Willamette in IBU and the Tettnang in just plain weight but I just calc the weight given the alpha.

- steep crushed grains in 4 gallons of 160 degree water for 30 minutes
- sparge with half gallon of 165 degree water
- bring to a boil and then add Willamette for 60 minutes
- At 30 minutes left, add irish moss
- at 2 minute left, add Tettnang
- chill, add cool water to hit OG and pitch yeast at 72 degrees

3/4 cups of corn sugar to bottle

It's very straight forward and like I was saying, I've made it a bunch of times... it's my "standard ESB" and something I usualy have on tap

Back