Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale yeast experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
So I just mashed in a 10 gal batch of Edwort's Pale Ale, I have never made 10 gal batches but we always go through this stuff so fast, I figured I should start. Anyway I'm going to split up fermenting into 2 5gal carboys, my plan is to use Nottingham yeast for one and Pacman yeast that I harvested from a Juniper Pale Ale for the other. Should be interesting to see what the flavor differences are. Next time I have to remember to mash in hotter only hit 149 :mad:

I plan to brew an IPA extract kit from my brother with the pacman yeast. It is a brewers best kit with Cascade hops so I thought it would go well together. Good luck. I wish I could brew 10 gallons at a time to do the same thing.

I did a 10 gallon batch and split it with 5 gallons Notty and 5 with Safale-05. Both turned out tasty.

So far I think this has been one of my most successful brewing days to date, no stuck sparges and I hit 82% eff!! Woohooo!!

149F will give you a nice beer "DON'T WORRY". I make 10 to 20 gallon brews now as I have help :) drinking the beer. Yes I have friends. :) I like to see smiling faces and not those who just want a quick drunken fix. For the most part we drink my beer and let everyone express what they like or dislike in a beer that I have made. I use this to improve and enjoy the times we have. If you have a BBQ then it is much better.

Yeah 149 is fine but I usually try to mash a bit high like 154 for a little more mouthfeel. Eh whatever I think the beer will turn out fine everything went to the book yesterday so I'm very happy about that. The best thing is I have 10 gal instead of my usual 5gal. The Pacman carboy is chugging away at 1 bubble per second and the Nottingham is going at 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds. I think I'm going to have to make 10 gal batches more often, especially with BBQ season coming up hopefully (damn this Oregon weather)

Back