Kegging with corn sugar instead of co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm about to start kegging with a 3gal corny and have a few questions regarding the process. I know that it is best to prime to use co2; however, I won't be able to have a filled tank for at least another 2 weeks. If I use corn sugar for priming (the usual amount for a 5gal batch), what do I need to pay attention to?

I was reading somewhere that I have to vent some air at some point since there is less room in a keg than in a bottle. Is that true?

I just want to make sure I do everything right the first time. Thanks for your help!

While I'm not too familiary with this method, I know for a fact you do not want to used the same amount as you would for a five gallon batch in a 3gal corny. The amount for 5gal in bottles is also different than 5gal in kegs.

But this calculator will help you figure out the amount you need.

When priming a keg with corn sugar you're supposed to half the amount for bottling.

Depending on the type of brew...most packets of CS are 5 oz (this equates to 1 oz per gal). This is fine for HWs and such, but most bottlers use about 4 oz or .8 oz CS per gal.

For kegging just half that...2-2.5 oz should do it for you. ;)

I've never read anything about venting. You really don't want to do that because the pressurized gasses get absorbed into the beer which creates the carbonation.

-Dan- said:
I was reading somewhere that I have to vent some air at some point since there is less room in a keg than in a bottle. Is that true?

I haven't heard of that when kegging with corn sugar, but it would make an easy way to purge any leftover O2 out that might still be in the keg from filling.

homebrewer_99 said:
When priming a keg with corn sugar you're supposed to half the amount for bottling.

Depending on the type of brew...most packets of CS are 5 oz (this equates to 1 oz per gal). This is fine for HWs and such, but most bottlers use about 4 oz or .8 oz CS per gal.

For kegging just half that...2-2.5 oz should do it for you. ;)

I've never read anything about venting. You really don't want to do that because the pressurized gasses get absorbed into the beer which creates the carbonation.
Could you explain why kegs only get half the sugar? I’m about to keg my beer and from the reading I have done it appears that in order to get 3-4 volumes of Co2 per gallon I need roughly 2/3 cups of corn sugar which is about 5oz. I can’t seem to find anything about keg priming its all about bottles which is what the above figures apply to. So, if you could lead me to some reading in regards to the reason why you only need half the amount of priming sugar it would be greatly appreciated.

From Northern Brewers website. I found the link in the "sticky" section. :D
This is for 5 gallon cornies.

Bulk priming

1.) Dissolve 1/3 cup corn sugar in a cup of water and boil for at least five minutes. Add to an empty, sanitized keg.

2.) To reduce oxidation during transfer, you may wish to purge the air out of the keg. Attach the gas/in line. With the lid off, adjust the regulator to a low pressure (less than 5 PSI) and run CO2 into the open keg for several seconds. CO2 is heavier than air and will displace it.

3.) Siphon beer from the secondary fermenter into the keg.

4.) Attach the lid and pressurize to about 10 PSI to seat the lid.

5.) Keep keg in an area with temperatures equal to or above that of fermentation temperature to finish carbonating. Expect carbonation to be complete after a few weeks.

Above is exactly what I do. 1/3 of a cup of corn sugar. I'm not sure exactly the reason for the reduced amount, other than maybe with kegging you have the activity of the collective of the yeast, rather than just a small portion per bottle. I do know that I get great results with this procedure.

pjj2ba said:
Above is exactly what I do. 1/3 of a cup of corn sugar. I'm not sure exactly the reason for the reduced amount, other than maybe with kegging you have the activity of the collective of the yeast, rather than just a small portion per bottle. I do know that I get great results with this procedure.

When you say great to mean a heavily carbonated beer

Here is my plan for one of the current 5gal batches that needs to get bottled/kegged-
Assuming 3/4 cup of corn sugar for a 5g batch:

3gal keg (have a 3gal corny) - 0.225 cup (that would be half the amount regularly used if bottled)
2gal in bottles - 0.3 cup

Since I won't have a re-filled co2 tank for at least another 4-5 days, force carb is not an option this time.

If you don't have at least some pressure in the keg (co2 tank) the lid most likely won't seal properly. You add less sugar to the keg because to get the proper seal you need to put some co2 pressure in the keg, and hence it is already under some pressure. In the bottle, the headspace needs to pressurize before the co2 will remain disolved in the beer, with the keg you have already added some pressure and filled the head space with co2.

Back