Corny Gas Post Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zman3382

Reaction score
It seems one of my cornys has a leak when I hook a gas line up to it, something to do with the gas post. It holds pressure just fine when not hooked up. I've tried several gas connectors, all had the same problem with this post. Ive also keg lubed the o-ring and pop it seal (a little). Any thoughts before I buy a new gas post? thanks! - Zack

Zack,
I presume you are using ball lock connections and have checked for any irregularities in the "skirt" area of the post. First, I would hook it up and spritz the area with mild soap and water solution to verify that the leak is coming out from under the bottom of the connection. Once I verified that my connection was good, and that the leak was coming from the post, I would change out the oring on the post. If the above doesn't work, I would depressure the keg and change out the post with a know "good" one. Let us know how it goes. - Dwain

Make sure it is actually a gas post. Sometimes people get the gas and liquid posts backwards and hook them up wrong, or disassemble/reassemble them wrong. It could even have happened before you got the keg.

Dwain, thanks for the response.. I have indeed already been through the steps you listed, as I would hope anyone would.. still no luck. Soap and water ( i use windex ) didnt reveal the source and as Ive tried multiple connectors, I have to assume the problem is due to some irregularity in the post, though none is immediately visible..

weirdboy - thanks for responding. its definately the gas post. its notched around the base and it does fit the gas hookup.. in the past ive accidentally hooked a gas line to a liquid post, it doesnt really fit.. just enough to make a mess :)

Yep, I think it's time for a trip to the post store. At least it isn't leaking when it's not hooked up. Luck - Dwain

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue. I don't have a leak on the post, but I can hear gas leak when the gas ball lock is attached. If I push down on the ball lock, I can stop the leak. Any thoughts here? Note the ball lock gas connector doesn't leak when connected to other corny keg gas posts. So it's something strange with this corny's gas post and the ball lock connection. Any help is appreciated.

I'm having the same exact issue as the poster directly above me had 3 years ago. Keg holds pressure fine, but when I hook up the gas QD I get a leak. If I push down on the QD it stops(until I let go). The QD works fine on my other keg. I figured it was an O-ring issue so I replaced that, to no avail. Any insight?

I'm having the same exact issue as the poster directly above me had 3 years ago. Keg holds pressure fine, but when I hook up the gas QD I get a leak. If I push down on the QD it stops(until I let go). The QD works fine on my other keg. I figured it was an O-ring issue so I replaced that, to no avail. Any insight?

Yeah that is odd. Maybe try a thicker ORing on the outside of the post with a little keg lube?

Sent from somewhere to someone

I have a similar problem with one of my kegs and a liquid disconnect -- it won't stay down. I switched back to a different liquid disconnect and that one works just fine. The one that doesn't work is a black one and the one that DOES work is a white one. Go figure. :)

I have a similar problem with one of my kegs and a liquid disconnect -- it won't stay down. I switched back to a different liquid disconnect and that one works just fine. The one that doesn't work is a black one and the one that DOES work is a white one. Go figure. :)

Are you sure the post didn't get switched. Gas post will have a groove etched in the hex part of the post?

Sent from somewhere to someone

These are my first kegs, so this issue had me scratching my head. After reading extensively about keg leak issues on here and how many of them can be fixed with proper gasket lubrication, I sprayed the hell out of the post o-ring as well as the inside of the disconnect with star-san(I don't have keg lube, yet..) and that appears to have solved my problem. LUBE LUBE LUBE. Keg lube should be arriving in the mail today, so I might be kegging for the first time tonight, woot!

Back