Banana Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bananawine_zps00820a12.jpg

heres mine that i started on 12/10/2012
then racked 12/20/2012
racked again on 3/20/2013

followed recipe to the tea.......:ban:

cant wait to try this when its done

I am having a similar issue, I've been on the raisins for a month and no activity. I pitched some more champagne yeast that I made a starter with first and still no luck.

Mine, also, was stuck; and I'm sure it was from sulfite on the raisins (I just could not score golden raisins that had not been sulfited). I had taken steps to "de-sulfite" the raisins (rinsed them in hot water for 10 minutes; then poured boiling water over them and soaked them overnight). The fermentation was still stuck (hydrometer not budging). I made a quick starter to get it going again, but that did nothing.

Then I took the time to really make a starter right, and that really did the trick. With the raisins dancing on the rising CO2, it's a huge lava lamp right now (including a bunch of raisins hanging out at the neck, that I am pushing down once a day).

Prior to this, the wine had cleared to a gorgeous gold -- I'm certain it will do it again!

Starting mine tonight. From what I've read in this thread, in most cases, people do not see activity in the airlock from the addition of raisins but it does take place. The raisins lose color and so on. I'm making a full 5 gallon batch and planning on adding 2.5 pounds of raisins during active ferment and then 2.5 in secondary.

Mine, also, was stuck; and I'm sure it was from sulfite on the raisins (I just could not score golden raisins that had not been sulfited). I had taken steps to "de-sulfite" the raisins (rinsed them in hot water for 10 minutes; then poured boiling water over them and soaked them overnight). The fermentation was still stuck (hydrometer not budging). I made a quick starter to get it going again, but that did nothing.

Then I took the time to really make a starter right, and that really did the trick. With the raisins dancing on the rising CO2, it's a huge lava lamp right now (including a bunch of raisins hanging out at the neck, that I am pushing down once a day).

Prior to this, the wine had cleared to a gorgeous gold -- I'm certain it will do it again!

I racked mine off the raisins the other day and it tastes dry so it must have been fermenting in there after all.

Opened a bottle today (about 14 months old). Wow, it is far better than I had hoped. The heat from the alcohol is now a pleasant warmth. The banana flavor shines through. I also get a cinnamon/holiday flavor (maybe the golden raisins?).

I need to get some :ban::ban::ban::ban: and start a new batch. I should have started it long ago.

I froze a gallon bag of bananas, but didn't weigh them before I froze them. Is a gallon of frozen bananas enough for a gallon of wine? Thanks. Cut up, thought that would help.

johnnync said:
Frozen is 4.13 lbs.

The frozen bananas themselves are not going to weigh more or less than they did fresh. Any little bit of moisture built up and frozen on the outside of them won't affect the weight enough to be worried about it.

WesleyS said:
The frozen bananas themselves are not going to weigh more or less than they did fresh. Any little bit of moisture built up and frozen on the outside of them won't affect the weight enough to be worried about it.

Thank you WesleyS.

After the being on the raisins for 4 months, it's time to rack, but when you rack it to another gallon jug, and leave the raisins behind, there will be more headspace than before in the new jug, is this ok or should it be topped off again and if so with what?

loudgonzo said:
After the being on the raisins for 4 months, it's time to rack, but when you rack it to another gallon jug, and leave the raisins behind, there will be more headspace than before in the new jug, is this ok or should it be topped off again and if so with what?

Yes top it off. Banana wine? J/k, from what I see in the original recipe I would say boiled and cooled water, or a smaller vessel.

On the off chance that someone see this tonight: I just began a two gallon batch of Yooper's banana wine. It is cooling now. To my horror, I just realized I am out of wine yeast. I have 2 packets of Safale US-05, bread yeast and rice yeast balls.

Should I:
1. Leave it in the fermenter and pitch wine yeast tomorrow when the LHBS opens
2. Pitch an US-05 left it start the ferment then pitch the wine yeast tomorrow
3. Pitch the bread yeast
4. Pitch a couple yeast balls
5. Pitch the wort (not really an option).

Thanks!

LabRatBrewer said:
I ended up putting the fermenter into my keezer, figured the cold would slow down any nasties from gaining a foothold. Was at LHBS when it opened. Wine yeast pitched.

Did it take off?

Yep, it looks fine.

I have everything to make it. Just can't pull the trigger. Seems like a long time to wait, til I look and see some that's over two years old the I haven't bottled yet. Maybe two years isn't that long time :)

I picked up 11lbs of bananas with the intention of making banana wine with them. Then I found this thread. Hmm, is it fate? Has LRB been reading my mind? I don't know, but I am now subbed. :)

Whipped this up tnite when we had a bunch of bananas go dark real fast.
I think it was around 10-11 bananas ended up with a lil under a gallon @ 27Brix (1.116)
If this ferments dry im looking at around 13% when i top back up.

One thing was the smell, absolutely fantastic like fresh banana cream pie no idea why since i was just simmering it in water but man i cant wait to taste this in a couple months.

Question. I have a screw top glass 1 gallon jug. Is 1 measured gallon directly to the top with no air or is it where it says "one gallon" around the bottle about 3inchs lower than the lip??

Whipped this up tnite when we had a bunch of bananas go dark real fast.
I think it was around 10-11 bananas ended up with a lil under a gallon @ 27Brix (1.116)
If this ferments dry im looking at around 13% when i top back up.

One thing was the smell, absolutely fantastic like fresh banana cream pie no idea why since i was just simmering it in water but man i cant wait to taste this in a couple months.

Question. I have a screw top glass 1 gallon jug. Is 1 measured gallon directly to the top with no air or is it where it says "one gallon" around the bottle about 3inchs lower than the lip??

I think most of those jugs are 1 gallon to about 3 inches below the opening, but I don't know if all of them are.

Brewed a batch up on 6/10 to the tee and hit 1.116 with around 10 or 11 bananas tied in a muslin bag, might have ended up wth a little less than a gallon but not by more than ~5-7oz.
At day 8 im down to .0987 and 16.5% ABV. After taking a sample, mind you im a sadist for good wine/beer, its AMAZING. Yes its hot and i couldnt have more than an oz or 2 but the flavors were just crazy creamy buttery smooth sugary caramel. I think because mine were FALL APART black and the sugars from the bananas were somewhat already fermenting as i threw them in the fridge? Maybe this the key to getting max flavor extraction but letting them go JUST before spoiling and mush to the touch. I couldn't believe i haven't made this before yet alone made MOAR of it!!
Thx YOOP!

I just went through the whole thread and want to try this recipe. Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about Campden tablets or metabisulphites added. Did I just miss it?

I just went through the whole thread and want to try this recipe. Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about Campden tablets or metabisulphites added. Did I just miss it?
I wouldn't think they would be really necessary. You are going to be fermenting until dry, and the bananas are going to cook before you use them. So, you shouldn't have any wild bugs to start with.

I use sulfites at every other racking and at bottling, to guestimate the sulfite level at +/- 50 ppm. It keeps oxidation at bay, and keeps the wine better. Without sulfites, the wine can darken a bit due to oxidation and the wine is susceptible to infection. Since I age this wine for it to be really good it's important to take care of it.

Thanks for the response. I start sulfites when fermentation is complete and at every other racking as well. Will be starting my first batch of banana wine soon. Will post updates during my process.

I use sulfites at every other racking and at bottling, to guestimate the sulfite level at +/- 50 ppm. It keeps oxidation at bay, and keeps the wine better. Without sulfites, the wine can darken a bit due to oxidation and the wine is susceptible to infection. Since I age this wine for it to be really good it's important to take care of it.

Is that fairly common for other types of wine as well. I have a carrot wine that I am about to rack was a going to add a campden tablet.

Is that fairly common for other types of wine as well. I have a carrot wine that I am about to rack was a going to add a campden tablet.

yes, that's a pretty standard winemaking technique. One campden tablet per gallon, or 1/4 teaspoon of powered k-meta per 5 gallons, is a good guestimate on keeping the wine at 50 ppm if you don't have a sulfite meter.

I bottled 3 gallons of this today after 6 months of bulk aging. It was very good already. Probably my favorite wine so far. I was worried because I didn't have any signs of fermentation when I added the raisins. Gravity was down to 1.014 though. This had a lot more body than most of my other wines. Should be tasty next summer!

Ok, I read through the whole thread and decided that I needed to write down some questions to ask since it takes two years :eek:
Do the raisins go in secondary or primary?
Should I sanitize the raisins in some way to make sure there aren’t any pestecides and stuff?
I read somewhere to let it sit in primary for 2 months? I thought it was one week

I found the answer for time question. Still don't know about the other two though

Ok, I read through the whole thread and decided that I needed to write down some questions to ask since it takes two years :eek:
Do the raisins go in secondary or primary?
Should I sanitize the raisins in some way to make sure there aren’t any pestecides and stuff?
I read somewhere to let it sit in primary for 2 months? I thought it was one week

I found the answer for time question. Still don't know about the other two though

Just follow the recipe/instructions in the original recipe. That should answer all of your questions, and give you great results.

Ok I whipped up 3 gallons in primary. Some of the boiled bananas fell in the primary and after about a week is now just mush
Is that ok?

Back